Chapter 19 - The Siege of The North - Part 1

A couple days have passed and we're about a day out from the Northern Water Tribe. Zuko and I are in the same room we were in when I first discovered that he was still alive, waiting for Iroh to meet up with us. "You should leave a couple of hours before I do." Zuko says quietly. I turn to him, confused. "Why?" I ask. "It's not like we're not going to run into each other when you try to capture Aang." I retort.

Zuko avoids my gaze at my comment and I know that he knows that I'm right. He's about to say something when the door opens and Iroh enters the room. "We'll be landing soon." he says, mostly to Zuko. "Do you have a plan?" he asks. "I'm working on it, Uncle." Zuko replies which makes Iroh nod in reply before leaving the room, not wanting anyone, especially Zhao to figure out that Zuko's alive and on his ship.

We reached the Northern Water Tribe a couple of hours ago and Iroh had said that he told Zhao to not attack until morning. Currently, I'm in one of the storage rooms with Zuko as he gets a canoe ready so that he can sneak off the ship, while I get ready to dive into the ice cold water.

I turn to look at Zuko for a moment, to see that he's already looking at me. "What?" I ask him with a raised eyebrow. He looks away. "Nothing," he answers quickly. "Just..." he hesitates for a second before looking into my eyes again. "be careful out there." he continues. I give him a small smile before nodding. "You too." I answer softly.

I turn away from him again, putting my waterskins around my shoulders, getting ready to jump into the icy waters below me. I take a step towards the edge, but a hand grabbing my wrist stops me in my tracks. "Zuko..." I say softly as he tugs on my arm, making me turn to him. "I really don't-" he cuts me off by pressing his lips to mine softly. My eyes widen in surprise at the gesture for a few seconds before relaxing against him and returning the kiss.

He lets go for after a few more seconds, his forehead pressed against mine. "Promise me, you'll be alright." he says softly. I nod against his forehead. "I will if you promise me, that you'll be alright." I respond. I see him smirk at that which makes me smile softly at him before turning away again.

I take a deep breath before stepping off the edge of the ship, falling towards the icy waters below. I move my hands making the water below me turning into a funnel, catching me. Landing in the cold water reminds me of when I was back home in the South Pole. At the thought of being with my siblings again, I start swimming

towards the Northern Water Tribe, wanting to get to my siblings and Aang as soon as possible

I finally reach the wall of ice, noticing that there are guards patrolling the wall. I know that I shouldn't just sneak in, but I need to find my siblings or Aang before Zuko does. I decide to go through the iceberg on the side of the wall to avoid being seen by the guards on the wall. I swim over to the iceberg, using my waterbending to make a hole in the ice big enough for me to climb into.

Once inside, I close the hole off behind me, knowing that if Zuko found it, he would use it to get to Aang, and even though we kissed not too long ago, I'll still protect Aang from him, no matter what.