Chapter 13 - Lake Laogai

Ever since this morning I've felt as if nothing could go wrong at this point. Throughout the morning, Zuko and I would steal looks at each other when we would walk past each other and be in the kitchen getting more tea for customers. Every time we'd be in the kitchen together, all I would want to do is run up to him and kiss him. But, I restrained myself from doing so since we're at work and we have to be professional.

Pouring some tea into some more tea into some more cups, I feel a warm presence come up behind me. I smile as arms wrap around my waist. "Hey you." I smile as I lean back into his touch. "Hi." he greets back, his soft raspy voice sending chills down my spine. I smile as I feel him kiss my cheek gently. "Lee, stop!" I giggle softly as I squirm out of his arms so that I can face him. "What?" he asks with a smirk as he pulls me closer to him by the waist. "I can't kiss you now?" he asks, leaning in closer to me. "Not right now, we're at work." I say pushing against his chest slightly. I slip past him, walking out of the kitchen with my tray of cups.

I pass out the tea, and just as I start making my way back to the kitchen. A man in fancy clothing approaches Iroh with 2 other men that I assume are his bodyguards. He must be from the Upper Ring of the city, considering how fancy his clothing is. "So you're the genius behind this incredible brew." he exclaims, causing Iroh to turn around to face him. "The whole city is buzzing about you. I hope Pao pays you well." he smirks, holding up his teacup, the rings on his fingers, glittering in the light of the room. "Good tea is its own reward." Iroh smiles. "But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?" the man asks him which causes my eyes to widen in surprise. "My own tea shop?" Iroh responds in shock. "This is a dream come true." he smiles.

"What's going on here?" Pao asks as he scampers over to join the conversation. "Are you trying to poach my tea maker?" he asks the man in front of Iroh as he throws himself protectively between the man and Iroh. "Sorry Pao, that's business for you, am I right?" the man asks. He does have a fair point. "Mushie, if you stay, I will make you Assistant Manager. Wait, Senior Assistant manager." Pao says, getting more and more desperate. "I'll provide you with a new apartment in the upper ring. The Tea shop is yours to do whatever you want." the man bargains as I walk over to the same table Zuko is at as he glances over towards his uncle. "Complete creative freedom." the man continues. "I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asks, elated. "Of course!" the man exclaims. "Uh, Senior Executive Assistant Manager?" Pao asks pleadingly. Iroh sets the teapot into Pao's hands, who grimaces before he walks away. Zuko grabs my arm as he starts to walk away from the table we were just at and pauses as Iroh turns to speak to us. "Did you hear you 2?" he asks Zuko and I. "This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the upper ring of the city." he continues, excitedly. "That's right you 2. Your lives are about to change for the better." the man says to Zuko and I as we walk towards the front door of the shop. "I'll try to contain my joy." Zuko says gravely as he sets his tray of cups onto the table and dragging me outside, closing the door behind us.

Outside of the shop, Zuko leans up against the front of the teashop, crossing his arms over his chest, an angry look on his face. "You okay?" I ask him gently as I place my hand on his cheek, making his eyes meet mine. "Fine." he huffs out before turning his head away to look away from me. I know why he's so upset about Iroh getting his own teashop in the Upper Ring. He had said it the first day that we were in the city. He doesn't want to make a life here... Whether it be with me or not... I sigh softly before turning to face him again, placing my hands on his chest, causing him to look at me again, a slightly confused look on his face. "Mia, what-" I cut him off by pressing a soft kiss onto his lips.

For a few seconds, he doesn't respond but eventually he does, wrapping his arms around my waist as he kisses me back. I let go a second later, pressing my forehead against his. "You and I both know that being in the Upper Ring will be better than where we are now." I tell him softly. "I know..." he responds. "Well, I'm going back inside okay?" I ask him. He nods, a small smile appearing on his face. "You coming or do you need another minute?" I ask him as I slide the door open. He shakes my head and I nod before stepping inside of the shop, closing the door behind me. Little did I know that Zuko finds out that my siblings, Toph and Aang are in the city, looking for Appa.