Chapter 7 - Bitter Work

I literally can't remember the last time that I slept this soundly. With my worry for Zuko and Iroh's wellbeing not waking me up in the middle night anymore, I could finally get a good night's rest. I groan softly as I stir awake, the feeling of being watched stirring me from my deep slumber. I open my eyes just enough to peek through my lashes. I nearly jump up from my spot on the floor when I see a figure sitting on the floor across the room from me. I then realize that it's just Zuko and not anyone that would hurt me. The events from 2 days ago flash through my head as I lay there for a few more moments: facing Azula, seeing Zuko again, Iroh getting hurt, telling the others that I wasn't going with them. At the memory of going with Zuko, I look up at the said scarred banished prince in front of me. He's watching me intently, but I keep up with the sleeping farce, not wanting to risk him covering up his emotions once he realizes that I'm awake.

After a few seconds though, his eyes flicker away from me to where Iroh currently lays, still unconscious. With his attention turned away from me, I open my eyes just a little more to study him. I hold in a small gasp at the dark bags under his eyes. He probably didn't it all the last couple of nights, and I have no idea as to how much sleep or food he's gotten since the North Pole. He looks like a scared child who knows he's done something wrong and was waiting for his punishment as he sits in the corner of the room, his knees up to his chest with his arms wrapped around his legs. He turns away from his uncle again, making me close my eyes to where I can just see him through my lashes again. He lowers his head, dropping his chin onto his knees, the shift in his position causes the early morning sunlight going off the tears welling in his eyes. At the sight of the tears in his eyes, I decide to get up and comfort him. I slowly sit up staring at him. "Zuko?" I ask quietly.

At the sound of my voice, he instantly sits back again, starting ro release his tight post. I get to my feet, cautiously walking over to him before sitting next to him. My shoulder brushes against his, making his body stiffen. "It's not your fault, you know." I say quietly as I look up at him as he avoids your eyes. He shakes his head in reply before turning his gaze to Iroh again. "No, it is my fault..." he answers solemnly, tears still in his eyes. I adjust my body to where I'm in front of him, causing him to look at me for a split second before he looks away again. "Hey," I say tilting my head to where he can see me. "Zuko, look at me." I continue. He doesn't look at me for another few seconds before he finally meets my eyes. "It is not your fault." I say again. "Azula took advantage of him when he wasn't paying attention. There was nothing you could've done to stop it..." I finish softly, taking his hand in mine, giving it a squeeze. He looks down at the ground beside him, a few tears falling from his eyes. "It should've been me..." he says quietly. "Zuko, don't say that..." I beg, pleadingly, grabbing his cheeks with my hands, making him turn to me again. "You shouldn't be blaming yourself for this Zuko... The one you should be blaming is Azula." I tell him softly as I stare into his eyes.

As we stare into each other's eyes, the 2 of us start leaning closer to each other, our lips getting closer and closer with every passing second. Our lips are just about to touch when a quiet groan makes the 2 of us to jump apart, our cheeks blazing in embarrassment. "I-I should do another healing session..." I stutter out softly. Zuko nods while turning his head away from me. I slowly make my way over to Iroh, where the bucket of water that I've been using to heal Iroh's burn wounds. I kneel next to him and bend the water onto my hand. I take a deep breath before placing my hand over the burns on Iroh's chest.

After a few minutes, the water sinks into the wounds. I sigh softly as I see the burns slightly better than they were before I started this session. It's been 2 days since he got hurt by Azula. The burns have gotten better but not by much... Zuko and I had left the abandoned town and found an old, small disintegrating house on the outside of the abandoned town, thinking that it would be an acceptable shelter for the time being.