Chapter 10 - Jet's suspicions

Here is another chapter for you guys today!!! This one is kind of short so that's why I got to post 2 chapters today instead of just one like I usually do!!!

Hope you guys like it!!!!

P.S. I couldn't really think of a better title for this chapter... If you guys have any suggestions for it after you read it, please leave a comment because I don't like the title that this chapter currently has...

Upon landing, we instantly split off from the Freedom Fighters due to me which Zuko didn't mind while Iroh kept on apologizing for calling Smellerbee a boy up until they were out of our sight. We've been standing in one of the many lines to get our tickets stamped for about an hour now, and a sour, heavy set woman with a large hairy mole above her eyebrow, looks over Iroh, Zuko and I's papers dubiously. "So, Miss, Jin, Mr. Lee, and Mr. ummm... Mushy, is it?" the woman asks, sounding unpleasant as she speaks off our aliases. "It's pronounced Moo-shee." Iroh corrects. The woman looks up from our papers angrily. "You telling me how to do my job?" she asks. "Uh, no no no. But may I just say," he says as he approaches the booth with a large smile. "your beauty is intoxicating." I have to bite my lip in order to keep from laughing as the woman responds. "You're pretty easy on the eyes yourself handsome." She makes a cat-claw gesture with her hand. "Raorrr." "Welcome to Ba Sing Se." she states as she stamps our papers before pushing them forward for Iroh to grab. Iroh holds our papers out for us to grab and I take mine with a smile. "I'm gonna forget I saw that." Zuko snarls as he snatches his papers from Iroh before walking away, Iroh and I close behind him.

******************************************************

I can't believe that we're just one train ride away from our new lives. Maybe things can settle down now. Iroh and I join Zuko on one of the benches to wait for our train that will take us into the city. I prod his shoulder as I sit down next to him. "Lighten up, will you?" I ask. Zuko rolls his eyes and lets out a soft growl which makes me roll my eyes at his sour attitude.

I'm about to say something else when Jet casually sits down on the opposite side of Zuko. "So, you guys got plans once you're inside the city?" he asks. Before Zuko, Iroh or I could answer his question as a voice goes through the room. "Get your hot tea here! Finest tea in Ba Sing Se!" We all turn to see a tea merchant pushing a concession cart around. "Oh!" Iroh calls, waving his hand at the man, getting his attention. "Jasmine, please." he says. The merchant comes over and pours tea into Iroh's bowl, who delightedly takes a sip of it as the merchant walks away.

Not even a few seconds later, his eyes widen in shock and he spits it out in disgust. "Blaugh! Ugh." he groans. "Coldest tea in Ba Sing Se is more like it. What a disgrace!" he exclaims. "Hey," Jet calls as he sits up from his seat. "can I talk to you 2 for a second?" he asks Zuko before he gets up from the bench, walking away. Zuko and I look at each other before getting up from our seats, following him. "You and I have a much better chance of making it in the city if we stick together." Jet says before we stop. "You 2 want to join the Freedom Fighters?" he asks him which makes my eyes widen before I turn away from him with a scoff. "Thanks, but I don't think you want either of us in your gang." Zuko declines for both of us. "Come on, we made a great team looting that Captain's food." Jet urges Zuko. "Think of all the good we could do for these refugees." he continues. I turn to face him, a stony glare on my face. "He said no, Jet." "And I think you know my answer too." I hiss as I grab Zuko's arm and start walking back towards Iroh. "Have it your way." I hear Jet reply, sounding mildly surprised, probably because Zuko said no to his offer.

When we reach Iroh, I see that the cup of tea he had gotten before Jet talked to Zuko and I is steaming. I tense up for a second at the sight of the steaming tea. I mentally curse, hoping Jet doesn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that Iroh is a Firebender. I don't seem to be the only one who thinks this as Zuko and I turn to look back toward Jet, who now wears a look of hostile suspicion on his face before he turns away and walks off. I mentally curse again but before I can do anything, Zuko abruptly turns and swipes the cup of tea from Iroh's grasp. "Hey!" Iroh exclaims, surprised. "What are you doing?!" I hiss at him. He ignores me, choosing to snarl at his uncle instead. "What are you doing firebending your tea?!" he whispers through gritted teeth.

My stomach drops at the thought. If Jet figured out that Iroh is a firebender, all because Iroh's tea is not hot instead of cold like when he first got it. "For a wise old man, that was a pretty stupid move." he growls. "I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but..." he begins mournfully before he sniffles sadly. "that's so sad." he continues. I turn back around, looking for Jet again. My eyes land on him as he glares at both Iroh and Zuko intensely. "Spirits." I hiss as Jet turns away again, walking over to where Smellerbee and Longshot are waiting for him. "What is it, Mia?" Zuko asks. "Nothing." I answer. "I'll deal with it." I continue, while glancing over at Jet again. "What does 'deal with it' mean?" he asks. I shake my head. "Don't ask."

He's about to say something before the sound of grinding stone on stone as the train pulls into the station. "Let's just go." I tell him to which he nods as he and Iroh follow me toward the train.

The 3 of us walk towards one of the carts and I glance over to the side to see Jet, Smellerbee and Longshot entering another car a few down from the one we chose. Well, atleast, they're not going to be in the same cart as us, where he would most likely make a scene. The 3 of us sit down, Iroh sitting next to a man and a woman who's holding a sleeping baby in her arms. I sit next to Zuko who has his arms crossed over his chest, still obviously angry about the whole 'Iroh heating his tea' situation.

I nudge Zuko in the side gently, making him glare at me which makes me roll my eyes at him before looking over at Iroh as he leans over to the woman holding the baby, a smile on his face. "What a handsome baby." he says, tickling the baby through the blanket with his finger. "Thank you." the woman smiles. A few seconds later, the train starts moving and I lean my head onto Zuko's shoulder, causing some of the tension to leave his body as he wraps one of his arms around my shoulders, causing a small smile and a light blush to appear on my face.