Chapter 19: How To Win Thawfest (Part 2)

I sighed as I was cleaning up Gothi's platform after a long day of helping her around as per usual. After I was done, I placed the broom against her hut, I was about leave until I saw Snotlout walking, well stomping, up the long stairs muttering under his breath. He looked up and gave me a sideways smile.

I looked up and down at him. He was very much burnt. Must have been training with his dragon.

"Hookfang?" I said through a soft smile.

He did a half nod to the side "Hookfang."

I grabbed a nearby stool and told him to sit down and then I went inside Gothi's hut to get supplies. Not before Gothi looked at me, confused.

"Snotlout." I said

She rolled her eyes and I couldn't help but chuckle.

I went back out and started to get him cleaned up. He was unusually quiet. He would always have something to talk about.

'Maybe he has a lot going on in his mind.' I thought

He was very upset a few hours ago during the Thawfest Games.

'Maybe he wants to talk about it.'

I softly cleared my throat and it got Snotlout's attention. "Hey, you know if you want to...talk about it with me. You can."

I looked up from his arm that I was cleaning. He blinked at me a couple of times and averted his eyes away.

I softly sighed and went back to what I was doing.

After a couple of minutes of cleaning off the soot he began to talk.

"I'm going to lose to that loser, aren't I?" He seethed through his teeth as he balled his hands into a fist.

I didn't answer him right away.

I finished cleaning his arm and got the paste to soothe the burns

"If you do it shouldn't mat--"

"It does matter!" He shouted interrupting me

I was taken aback from the sudden out burst but relaxed and continued to tend to his burns.

He sighed and continued "My family has never lost a single Thawfest. I can't be the first! My dad, he..." he trailed off

I finished up his arm by wrapping it up.

I looked up at him concern

"He would what?" I asked

He looked at me and sighed again "He..." Snotlout growled in irritation "he would, I don't know, he would be disappointed with me and I don't want to disappoint him." He looked down at the ground

"Oh, I see." I quietly replied, there was a moment of silence.

I didn't know what to say but there is one thing that I always wanted to do.

I slowly stood up and Snotlout looked up as I stood. I took a step forward and gave him a comforting hug. He sat still and his body tensed up.

"I'm sorry you're going through this. If you need anything or need someone to talk to, let me know, because... I'm you're best friend, right?"

I pulled back to see his expression. He had wide eyes and his mouth was slightly opened.

I gave him a worrying smile

'Was that too much? Oh no, he probably thinks I'm a freak!'

He blinked a couple of times and suddenly a smirk appeared on his face