Chapter 27: How To Give Back What's Not Yours

Today we are doing hand-to-hand combat. Well, technically, I don't really do hand-to-hand combat. I'm usually with Gothi but today she didn't need me so I was going to watch the others from the side.

I borrowed Fishlegs' botany book and was studying it as I sat beside (y/d/n).

Meanwhile, the twins were fighting each other with large shields.

I looked up and saw Ruffnut repeatedly bashing her shield against Tuffnut's. Ruffnut did one hard hit and it sent Tuffnut and his shield flying.

Ruffnut started to cheer while Gobber walked up to Ruffnut and took her shield, "As I've said a million times and as Ruffnut has demonstrated so splendidly, the shield can be your most important weapon. Who's next?" Gobber asked smiling.

"Hold on. I don't get to hit her back?" Tuffnut asked as he stood up and pointed at his sister.

"On your own time." Gobber replied and then looked over at Hiccup and Astrid, "Hiccup, Astrid." He said

Hiccup shook his head, "Well, I -I don't think it's really fair for me to be fighting a--"

Before he could finish, Astrid tackled him. However, Hiccup quickly ducked.

I rolled my eyes, amused with the two. I smiled and went back to my book.

"When you're in a situation like this, it's best to remain calm and take deep breaths." I heard Gobber say. He continued, "When that's not an option, I would advise playing dead..."

I heard a groan that came from Hiccup and I silently chuckled.

"Just like that. Well done, Hiccup. Good form, Astrid." I heard Gobber commenting.

"You okay?" I heard Astrid ask.

"Never been better. Shoulder should pop back into place in no time." I heard Hiccup say in a strained voice.

"Snotlout, Fishlegs, let's see what you've got," Gobber announced.

"Whoo! I think we all know what I've got. Snotlout! Snotlout! Oi! Oi! Oi!" Snotlout cheered as he did his little chant and a dance.

"Fishlegs, don't be shy," Gobber called out.

There was no sound what so ever.

I looked up, scanning the arena and didn't see him. So I shrugged, not thinking too much about it, and went back to the book.

'He probably flew off somewhere.'

"Eh, thoughts on Fishlegs' whereabouts?" Gobber asked us.
No one answered
"Anyone?" Gobber continued, "No? In that case, (Y/N), you're up."

I heard my name called and I slowly looked up from the botany book. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "Huh? What?!"

"Since Fishlegs isn't here you'll be taking his place for today," Gobber said looking at me.

"But...but..." I sighed out, "I can't get out of this can I?" Gobber smiled and shook his head. I took a deep breath "Okay..." I muttered under my breath as I closed the book and placed it down beside me.

I stood up and walked towards the middle of the arena.

'Dang it Fishlegs!'

Snotlout stood across from me, "Don't worry I'll go easy on you" he said smiling.

I didn't know if I should feel grateful that he wasn't going to punch me across the arena or if I should be offended that he thinks I'm weak.

Then again, he's not wrong if he thinks that...