Chapter 5: Dragon Battles

I continued to stare at my father, the Chief, who tried to force me to kill my own dragon.

Suddenly, two big Viking guards grabbed my arms. I tried hard to pull away, but they just gripped onto me tighter. I glared angrily at one of them until they both let go and took a few steps back. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I glance back up to the Chief who had his hand out.

"Why did you come back?" He asked as his voice bellowed throughout the arena.

He had a frown on his face, unpleased to see his own blood.

I gave him a smirk, "What? Am I not allowed to come back home?" I asked him.

"You betrayed us!" A voice yelled in front of me.

I looked at the person who accused me and it was Anwir.

I sighed and gave him a sorry expression, "Yes, I have and I truly regret that."

I looked at the Chief, "I'm here to make amends. To apologize for betraying my tribe."

He squinted at me, "I don't believe you."

"What is there not to believe?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What happened to that dragon?" He asks.

Luckily, I was prepared for this question. I knew it would have been suspicious if I just suddenly appeared back at home.

In my satchel I had something that would convince them. Hopefully.

I pulled it out with both hands and the audience gasped and started to murmur. I tossed it at the ground and it made a squish sound.

My father's eyes went wide as Anwir and the rest of the Warriors stared at it.

"Is that..." Anwir trailed off.

"This, right here, is a heart of a dragon's." I announced.

"How is that possible?" Anwir asked me as he shakes his head in disbelief.

I pulled out a dagger. Coincidentally, it happeneds to be a dagger that Anwir gave to me for my birthday. I'm not sure why I still kept it. I have no use for it, as a matter of fact, I never used it once for anything. Anwir gave it to me so I could kill a dragon with it, but I never used it for that and I never will.

"The dragon got hungry and tried to eat me." I said as I stared at the dagger. I then threw the dagger at the heart, letting it just stick in there. I looked up at Anwir, "And so I killed it in its sleep by slitting it's throat. I then cut its heart out."

I saw his lips curling up to a smile. I wanted to give him a disgusted look, but I hid my emotions. I looked at the Chief and saw he had a some what impressed look.

"I'm impressed, (Y/N)." He smiled at me and I smiled back him. "However..." he continued. I slightly frowned, wondering what more he wanted. "I'm not throughly convinced. I want you to participate in this year's Dragon Battles." He gave me a smile as if he won.

However, I gave him a big grin as his smile diminished, "I'm glad you said that Chief. I will participate in this year's Dragon Battles."

There was a roar of cheers and claps all around. This was not where I was headed, but if it kept the Chief and people busy then so be it.

Besides, Hiccup helped me learn a lot more about dragons.

•●●●•

The Chief started to explain what was going to happen.

We are placed into two teams. Since I was added at the last mintue, instead of three on each team there was four and three. The younger yet gruff men and women, Team Black, who probably just became young adults not too long ago, have four players.

I was placed with Anwir's team, Team Red. Our team only has three players, counting me.

I was staring at the other players, until someone placed a hand on me.

"I told you they were all the same." He said with a smile. "Oh, and also sorry about that arrow to the arm. Say...how did you get it out?"

I pushed his hand off of me, giving him the cold shoulder, "Painfully."

"Ah." He said as he nodded and looked straight ahead back at the other team. "You're probably still mad at me, huh?" He asks.

I ignored him and continued staring onwards.

"Tonight, each team will take down as many dragons as they can! Which ever team has the most points by the end of tonight wins this year's Dragon Battles!"

The audience became wild and cheered. I felt myself starting to sweat a lot.

Where were they? What are they doing?

I just hope they are okay.

I trust them and I believe them.

•●●●•

The Black Team went up first. While we, the Red Team, went to a room back behind the arena to strategize our battle plan.

There was going to be dragons of different class types. Some familiar and one or two that's going to be newly introduced.

I've studied The Book Of Dragons and I tried to cram as much information as I can, with the help from the others, I can also take control of these dragons without me hurting them and hopefully, them not hurting me.

As we talked I heard dragon roars and screams out in the arena. It sent chills down my spine, just hearing the dragon's roar in fear and terror. It sounded like a Monstrous Nightmare roar, which made things even worse for me.

I gripped onto my pants as I listened to the screams. Tears forming in my eyes as I stare at our battle plan on the table.

"Hey, kid. Are you okay?"

I looked up and it was a girl that I have met once before. She has a scar down her left eye. She has short shaggy blonde hair and was a little buff and almost as tall as Hiccup.

Someone placed an arm around "Ah, don't worry about her. She might just be afraid of the blood that she's going to get her hands on. Right?" Anwir said grinning down at me.

The girl raised an eyebrow "Even though you killed a dragon and ripped its heart out?"

I shook my head as I opened my mouth "It was for self defense and I needed evidence."

She nodded slowly "Right."

The excuse I gave Anwir for why I don't participate in Dragon Battles was because I was afraid of blood and guts and that I would pass out because of shock. Of course, that's not true. Yes, blood and guts make me squeamish but that's not the reason why I don't participate.

•●●●•

There were rumors of what new dragon species that were going to be introduced. However, to me, they sounded familiar.

As we were talking there was shouting outside. We all looked up at each other in confusion and went towards the door that lead to the arena.

Once I stepped outside, my eyes went wide as my heart stopped. I felt the world spinning around me.

'No...'