(1) Is she going to be okay?

Primrose's POV

"And first place is awarded to... Primrose Martinez!" The announcer says.

I gasp and start jumping with excitement. The announcer hands me a check for $1000, and I freeze for a quick photo. I spot my parents cheering, and I blow them a kiss.

Everyone in my division congratulates me, and I take pictures with the other winners. When I finally meet with my parents, they smush me into a hug.

"We're so proud of you, Rosie!" My mom whispers.

"How does it feel to be rich?" My dad asks playfully.

"Amazing! I can't wait to put it in my bank account." I say excitedly.

"Why don't we make a quick stop at the bank and then go out for ice cream?" He asks.

"Let's go!" I say, grabbing their hands and dragging them towards the exit.

After my dad deposits the check, we head toward the ice cream shop. While I look out the window, I randomly ask, "How come I can't take out the money in my account?"

"You'll have access to your savings account when you're 18. That way you'll have a lot of interest. What would you need all that money for at nine years old?" My mom asks.

"Don't say candy." My dad says.

I giggle and mumble, "Candy..."

"We're here!" My mom says excitedly.

We all rush towards the entrance and get in line to order. "What would you like, Rosie?" My dad asks.

"Cookies and cream, please," I answer.

"Mint chocolate chip." My mom adds.

The worker scoops my ice cream, and I beam with happiness. "Best day ever!" I say.

"You deserve it, Rosie. Your mom and I know how hard you worked on that dance routine." My dad says.

"Doesn't hurt that you guys graduated from Juilliard. I have the best coaches." I say, laughing.

"Feels like decades ago." My mom sighs.

"Now, you sound like an old lady." My dad teases.

My mom laughs and kisses my dad. "Gross, guys! I'm eating." I say.

They laugh, and I smile. "I love you guys."

"We love you too." My dad says, squeezing my arm.

"When we get home, do you want to watch a movie?" My mom asks.

"Of course! Family movie nights are the best." I say.

A few minutes later, we decided it was time to head back home. My dad opens the door for me, and I say with a funny accent, "Why, thank you, kind sir."

"You're very welcome, m'lady." He answers back.

15 minutes later, we finally started to merge off the highway. I can't wait! What movie should you pick?

Before I could think, a car swerved into our lane and crashed into our car. My eyes widen, and I scream. The vehicle gets flipped onto its side, and I feel my head slam into the window.

All of a sudden, I feel an intense headache and start to cry. I try to move away from the glass and blood, but all I see are stars. I lay my head back down and blackout.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

I wake up to bright light and automatically squeeze my eyes shut. Are we in heaven?

I hear a beeping noise and slowly open my eyes. I glance at my body and see needles in my arm. I panic and hear the heart monitor speed up.

A nurse comes in and injects me with another needle. Why are there so many needles?! I start to calm down and fall back asleep.

A few hours later, I woke up feeling less groggy. This time, I try not to look down at the needles. I try to ignore the pain I feel in my head and survey my surroundings.

I saw my dad sleeping in a chair beside me, and he looked terrible. Rude much? He has a bunch of bandages and a sling.

I force my arm to tap his hand, and he automatically wakes up. "You're awake!" He says gratefully.

He presses a button on the side of my bed. "Are you okay? Where's mom?" I rasp out.

He quickly fills a cup with water and brings it to my lips. "We were in a car accident." He explains.

"I fractured my shoulder when the car tipped over. I think you hit your head on the side, so they had to operate on your scalp. You also have a concussion, but the doctor said you should recover quickly." He says.

"What about mom?" I ask.

"She's in surgery right now..." He says.

"Is she going to be okay?" I ask.

He pauses and looks away. "I-I don't know. The car rammed into her side of the car, so she was impacted the most."

I nod and try to stay positive. My mom is one of the strongest people I know. She'll pull through. She has to...

A nurse arrives with a clipboard to check on me. After she asks how I'm feeling, she hands me some pills to take. While she talks to my dad, I drink more water.

A few moments later, a doctor walks in with a sad expression. When the doctor announced that she had passed away, my dad broke down.

I start to shake my head and feel my stomach drop. She can't be gone... She's my mom. There was so much we were supposed to do together. When I process that she won't be able to see me grow up, I start to sob.

<~~~~~~~~~~>

Thanks for reading! ❤️

I hope you'll give this book a try! ☺️

Byeeeeeeeeee! 👋