First Mission

I lay on the shore, not to far from Steven's house. It has been a while since I had time to relax by myself. It was nice. I didn't have to worry about the diamonds or homeworld gems. I just listen to the ocean crash into the sand and watch the birds fly over me.

"Hey (y/n)!" I hear someone yell out. I guess my relaxation will have to wait for another time. I sit up and look for who is calling me.

I see pearl standing on the porch of the house. She waves her hand, trying to get my attention. I wave back, letting Pearl know I see her.

While standing up, I wipe sand off me and walk to Pearl, "hey, what's up?" I tilt my head.

"One of Steven's friends called and said there were some corrupted gems not too far outside the town. Steven and I were going to check it out." A big smiles spread across her face, "Would you like to come with?"

Am I even ready for a mission? I have so little experience. They only time I faced a corrupted gem is that time with Garnet. Even then I needed help.

Pearl notices my worried expression, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't think you were ready." She reassures, "I think it would be a great learning moment for you!"

"If you think I can handle it-"

"I do!" Pearl interrupts.

"Okay! Sure. Let's go." I say with false confidence.

Steven walks out of his house and stoping in front of Pearl and I, "Ready?" He questions.

It takes us about ten minutes to walk to a forest outside of town. It is strange. I didn't even know this place was out here. Another reason why I am not ready for this.

"This is exciting," I exclaim to Steven. I walk backwards in front of him to keep eye contact, "our first mission together!" I try to sound optimistic.

Steven looks up from the ground, "huh? Oh...uh yeah! It'll be great!" He smiles and looks back at the ground. He seems so unfocused. Is he okay? He is trying to sound happy and excited, but I can tell there is something on his mind.

Before I can ask Steven what's wrong, I trip on my own feet while walking backwards. I land into a bush that, luckily, breaks my fall.

"Oh my! (Y/n) are you okay?" Pearl worriedly asks.

I nod and push off the bush to get back up. As I do so, the twigs scrape against my hands, causing them to be a bit scratched up, "ouch." I groan as I look at my hands.

I hear giggling. I look up at Steven to see he is doing his best to hold in his laughter. Seeing him laugh makes me realize how funny the fall really was, making me laugh as well. Even Pearl joins in. We are a laughing fit. I don't think it is the fall anymore. We all just needed a moment to forget everything and find humor and joy in even the simplest of thing. The fall is what sparked this moment for us.

As we all start to calm down, Pearl suddenly gets knocked down. A giant bug looking corrupted gem hovers over her. The corrupted gem is grey and black and has a green gem on its back.

Steven summons his shield from his gem and gets ready to fight. Pearl elegantly hops up, backing away from the corrupted gem. I glance down at the gem on my shoulder.

'Come on.' I try to summon the dagger. I concentrate on my gem, desperately hoping the dagger will appear. Nothing happens. I knew I wasn't ready.

The gem runs at Pearl, but Steven throws his shield at it. Steven now has the gems attention. Pearl summons her spear and runs at her opponent.

I think back to when Garnet trained me. What did she say I needed to do to summon my weapon?

The corrupted gem jumps out of the way of Pearls attack, landing closer to Steven and I. It looks at us for a moment then runs full speed towards me. Steven slides in front of me, lifting his shield up to block the gem.

"I'm sorry! I can't get my dagger!" I cover my face.

"I know you can do it, (y/n)! Believe in yourself like I believe in you!" Steven encourages.

Knowing that Steven believe in me makes me more confident. I focus, remembering my training with Garnet.

I remember! I have to know the feeling I did when fighting the invisible gem. I want to help Steven. I don't want him or Pearl to get hurt. I want to protect them.

A bright light shines from my should and my dagger appears. I grab it and prepare to throw it.

"Steven, drop your shield!" I yell.

"What? Are you sure?" He looks concerned.

"Yes! Trust me!" I says with a nod. He takes a deep breath and his shield disappears. The corrupted gem leaps at us. Reeling my arm back, I throw the dagger at the gem. It hits directly below it'a gem. The gem shrieks and stumbles back, trying to remove the dagger.

Pearl takes the opportunity to leap onto the dagger and pushing it further into the gem, causing it to poof. Steven quickly goes to the gem left on the ground and bubbles it.

Steven turns to me, "that was awesome!" She shouts and hugs me, "you were so cool!"

"Very impressive, (Y/n). I knew you were ready." Pearl gloats.

"Thanks, you guys. For believing in me." I beam.

"Come on! Let's get back to the house! We have to tell everyone what just happened! They will be so impressed!" Steven starts walking towards the house.

I stand there for a moment. I watch Steven walk further and further away. Pearl pulls me out of my trance by putting her hand on my shoulder.

"I am very proud." She grins.