Chapter One - Dreaming of Islands

I woke up on a beach.

An empty beach that slowly curved out of sight in both directions with not a single person in sight. The ocean looked beautiful, bright, and blue, with noticeably clear water along the shoreline. When I turned around I noted that the vast majority of the island was covered in tall leafy trees. A massive grey stone mountain towered above the trees in the distance. I had never been anywhere like this before, and I certainly didn't remember having decided to come here in the first place.

I was having trouble remembering a lot of things actually, my name, the names of my friends and family, it was all missing. I could remember what I had been doing last night, but not who I was doing it with.

There was definitely something wrong with my memory, how strange.

I was a rather calm person by nature but considering the situation I was far more relaxed then I would have expected. I stared up at the clear blue sky, the sun was burning brightly almost directly overhead, nothing strange there.

I sat down on the sand.

What was my priority given the situation I had found myself in? I should attempt to find out where this beach was in relation to something I knew. The city I lived in also had a beach, I remembered that readily enough. I don't remember a mountain being anywhere nearby or such thick forestry so close to the beach.

I think I could safely assume this wasn't near my city, whose name continues to escape me.

I had seen several movies and TV shows where people had woken up on a beach, Lost had been one of them. It was strange that I could remember the name of a TV show I had barely watched, but not my own name.

I would need to investigate the island and see if I could find anyone, but if I were somehow stranded on a desert island, somewhere in the middle of the ocean, I would need to do several things if I didn't want to die.

I needed a place to sleep, sheltered from the weather and any local wildlife, I didn't know how cold it would get here during the night or what might be in the forest looking for a meal. I would also need a source of freshwater and some sort of food.

Intelligence has increased by 1.

I recognized the floating words that had appeared in the corner of my vision immediately.

It was from that webtoon where the protagonist could level up like a video game, and whose name I couldn't recall, more due to it being an exceptionally long time since I had read it then my strange amnesia.

It was strange that something from a story had suddenly become real, but the fact that I was in the middle of nowhere on a deserted beach felt more problematic overall, but if this power worked as it had in the story, every day I survived, the easier it should become to survive the next.

Perhaps I could eventually become strong enough to swim back to civilization or something. My planning came to a grinding halt when three people wandered into sight further down the beach, with words floating above their heads. They were dressed strangely, and one of them was tossing a spear between his hands, so I immediately moved back into the trees just in case and watched them as they passed by.

Mato Level 17
Shinta Level 18
Toriko Level 14

Maybe I wasn't stranded after all.

---

I was stranded.

Stealth has increased by 1.