Chapter Twenty Two - Dreaming of Cleaver

I didn't actually tell anyone other than Tsunade that I was leaving. I thought it would be funnier if Karenbana realized I had ditched them for a couple of weeks. Fu might be a bit upset for a little while, but Lee and Gai would hopefully keep them both busy.

I didn't want to spend too much time out on my own, but I needed them both to be strong enough to fight the baddies, so I sprinted pretty much the entire time.

I kept looking around and hoping to spot something that might indicate where Team Seven had fought those twin mist dudes, the ones with that chain thing. Like a hole in the road or a pile of timber, shuriken stuck in a tree maybe.

It was stupid; that fight had happened years ago in this world if it had happened at all.

I wondered if I had woken up before the Zabuza mission, perhaps on the bridge or something, would I have been able to stop them from being killed? Recruited them somehow? I would probably have just died.

I wouldn't have been ready to be in a fight of that level, and I would have been noticed by the ninja long before I had grown even remotely strong enough to protect myself. I suppose waking up in the Land of the Moon had been a boon in that regard, given the slow nature of my skills.

Speaking of skills, I had finally gotten around to creating that sound reduction Spell I had cursed not having at Takigakure.

You have unlocked a new skill, Muffle.

Muffle (Level 1) – Reduces unwanted noise emission.
Type – Toggle
Target – Self.
Cost – Reserves 1 (25) Mana per second.

Increases the effectiveness of the higher the level.

An incredible simple but also useful skill that would have made that fight so much safer.

It was a weird spell too because it only seemed to stop sounds that I made by accident, or without intending to. If I said something, it would come through perfectly fine, and if I tried to snap a twig to make noise, it would let me, but I could feel twigs snap beneath my feet every other step in this forest, and barely any sound was coming from it.

Somehow it seemed to work via intention.

The terrain changed the closer I got to the coast, it was still warm, but the humidity was getting jacked up from all the water in the air. The early mornings began to bring a faint mist with it, nothing as foreboding as the thick mist that Zabuza had used in the anime, just a transparent layer of water in the air.

When did Zabuza get his sword anyway?

I remember that guy from Akatsuki having it at some point, Itachi's old partner. He was killed by uh, whatever that Jinchuriki was called, the turtle guy. He'd had the sword on him then, so when did Zabuza get it? I guess the turtle guy had taken it back to the village, given it to him, or given it to someone who had passed it to Zabuza.

Sometime after, Itachi had killed his clan, but before the wave mission.

Zabuza must have had several years to become a master of the sword, although he was some kind of genius in killing or something, I vaguely remembered he had killed his classmates during an exam of some sort? Perhaps he had been the type of genius who had simply picked it up and mastered it within months, like that other swordsman, well the swordswoman.

The chick that had the twin lighting swords before that funeral guy.

Rin? Ringo? Something like that, I remembered reading about how she had mastered her weapon really quickly or something, so I could see Zabuza doing something similar. Which meant that he had it for what, a maximum of five years? Probably less.

My own 'Blade Mastery' skill should carry over to it unless it fell under a 'Greatsword Mastery' or something like it. Which would suck, but either way, I didn't need two legendary swords; the goal here wasn't for me to go into battle wielding a bunch of swords as Killer B did, although I really wanted to see how that kind of swordplay worked in a real-world scenario.

I was intending on giving the giant ass sword to Fu.

Karenbana was a stealth fighter, well a stealth fighter with Sage Mode now anyway, but Fu was something of a flying brick, I mean, she had these silly-looking wings and everything, she has also had a remarkable level of strength for her level, her stats clearly favored it for whatever reason.

So she would get the most out of the giant sword within our little group. I had something different in mind for Karenbana anyway. I would be going to get that next, so she shouldn't be too salty over having to wait a month or so. She got that summon anyway.

The bridge was enormous, ludicrously so, it looked like something out of the old world, the one with the cars and the guns. It was actually amazing to look at it and think that something of this craftsmanship level was possible while they were under constant attack by mercenaries and ninja.

Hell, I can't imagine a bridge being completed in the old world under those conditions.

I turned around to face back towards Konoha and then turned left. I kept on walking until I felt a chakra signature light up within my range, and it hadn't taken that long. The sword was still where they had left it, as the headstone for their graves. Suigetsu hadn't been here yet, because the sword was here, and Kabuto hadn't been here because the bodies were still undisturbed.

"Sorry for stealing your grave marker," I said honestly, "You guys were really cool, just a couple of bros running around and tearing it up together, I would have liked to meet you both, at least once."