Chapter Twenty Five

I woke up to the sound of a quiet voice and what felt like something touching my forehead. I opened my eyes to find Fu sitting on the floor beside my bed, face perhaps an inch away, staring at me with her finger held out in front of her.

"That is the creepiest thing I have ever woken up to in my entire life," I murmured.

Fu pouted.

"I suggested we beat the shit out of you," Karenbana said seriously, "After suddenly disappearing for two months without even telling us you were leaving, well that deserves at least some kind of response."

I'll admit, she sounded a bit angrier than I had first imagined; this had been a lot funnier in my head as well.

"Yeah!" Fu said, upset, "Why did you ditch us?"

Hmm.

"I went to go get you both some presents," I said easily, "Since you are both such terrible excuses for ninjas."

Karenbana didn't seem to appreciate how thoughtful I was; Fu did, though.

"What did you get us?!" Fu said excitedly.

"Some stupid present isn't going to make us any less angry," Karenbana said intently. "Right, Fu?"

"Sorry, Karenbana-chan," Fu said sheepishly. "I forgot!"

Fu retreated to sit next to Karenbana, and they stared at me. Karenbana seems to have unionized the minions somehow; I was going to have to put a stop to that.

"What is this mutiny?" I cried, pushing myself into a sitting position. "No teaming up allowed!"

"No," Karenbana said seriously, "You can't just leave us behind like that."

"Yeah," Fu said quietly. "That was mean."

The guilt trip, huh? It's not like I wanted to go on my own; it was just more efficient that way; I wanted the swords, and they needed the time to train. That's why I had pushed so hard for an escort to the Land of Rivers, I didn't want to be on my own the entire time, but I didn't want these two to waste time that could be used to get stronger.

"Look, it was the best option," I tried, "You guys needed training, and I needed to go get some things; it all worked out."

"You didn't tell us you were leaving, though," Fu said sadly, "You just abandoned us here, without saying goodbye."

I glanced away at the tone, stupid feelings.

"Look, despite what you may think," I said resignedly, "I'm not made of money, at best I have enough to keep paying you for two more months, and that's it."

I shrugged.

"I went to get you something to pay for a couple more months," I said honestly, "Fu, if you are going to stick with me, then I'll start paying you now as well, the same rate as Karenbana."

"Karenbana-chan buys me food, so I don't need any money!" Fu said immediately.

Ouch.

"You are such an idiot," Karenbana said quietly.

"Fuck off," I said immediately. "Apologize this instant, you shitty bodyguard."

"No, stop trying to derail the conversation," Karenbana said evenly, "I don't want your money either."

So this was it, huh?

I'd pushed her a little bit too far and seemingly destroyed our dynamic. I couldn't remember the names anymore, but the situation certainly wasn't unfamiliar to me; I had a bad habit of self-destructing like this.

"Okay," I said cheerfully, "What are you two going to do then? Konoha would probably let you join, I think."

Karenbana frowned.

"I want to stay with you two," Fu said, confused.

Now I was confused.

"You are such an idiot," Karenbana sighed, "You should have stopped paying me over a year ago; I considered us friends then too."

"Me too!" Fu said immediately, "You're both my friends!"

"Oh," I said quietly.

I felt a flash of something behind my eyes, and I blinked it away furiously.

"How dare you make me feel emotionally vulnerable," I pouted, "You're both fired."

"I was never hired!" Fu cried at the same time that Karenbana murmured, "I already quit."

"I suppose neither of you wants your super cool gifts then," I said sadly, "That's a real shame; they were so cool too, really, really cool."

"I want it!" Fu cried, "What did you get me?"

Karenbana sighed as I easily won Fu back over, and the evil union was destroyed, for now.

"I even traveled all the way to Wave country for Fu's present," I said sorrowfully, "It was really heavy too; I'm so disappointed, should I take it back?"

"Sora-kun!" Fu cried, "I want it!"

I pretended not to hear her.

"I went all the way to the Land of Rivers just to get something for Karenbana as well," I sniffled, "I had to swim in this really scary river and everything; I could have drowned even!"

"Fine," Karenbana sighed, giving in at last. "What did you get me?"

I grinned and stood up before gesturing for some space, and both of them backed up to the other side of the room. I brought out Kubikiribōchō first, and carefully placed it down on the bed on the right, and then brought out the two Kiba to place on the left bed.

"One Kubikiribōchō for Fu," I said cheerfully, "Two Kiba for Karenbana."

They both stared at the weapons in disbelief; I was right; it was just as funny as I had imagined.

"It's so cool!" Fu cheered and leaned over the bed to inspect her sword.

I watched as she struggled to pick it up for a moment before channeling chakra to accomplish the feat.

"How on earth did you get these?" Karenbana said, bewildered.

I leaned against the wall as she picked the two Kiba up and studied the blades.

"Kubikiribōchō was at Zabuza's grave, Kakashi's squad put it there years ago, I totally yoinked it, sorry not sorry." I said breezily, "Kiba was at the bottom of a river after Raiga got evaporated during his fight against Team Nine."

"Gai-sensei's team!" Fu cheered.

"I was wondering who they found to train you both," I said, amused. "Who's training you, Karenbana? Kakashi?"

Karenbana placed the two swords back on the bed and turned around.

"Yuhei Kurenai is teaching me more genjutsu, but I've been working alongside Fu with Team Nine as well," Karenbana said slowly.

I nodded in understanding; Kakashi was totally a lazy bastard; of course, he didn't help.

"Sora," Karenbana said quietly, "Are you really just giving these to us? Do you have any idea what they are worth?"

I looked at her strangely.

"Of course I do; I was going to use them as payment, remember? But there's no point after you both confessed your undying love for me, though," I said breezily. "Totally cringe, how embarrassing."

Karenbana's cheeks went red, and Fu yelped.

"Anyway, you two better start training with those," I said easily, "We are going to fight Deidara and Sasori in, uh, three months?"

Something steely flashed through Fu's eyes at the names, identifying them immediately as the members of Akatsuki I had told her about; I should probably try and distract her before she got stuck in a mood.

"Hey," I said cheekily, "Did I tell you guys that I banged the Hokage?"

"What?!" Fu cried.

Karenbana turned to stare at me, eyes narrowed to slits; somebody was jealous.