Chapter Twelve - Dreaming of Jounin

We crept through the forest like a ninja.

Well, I tried to at least, but I was making a lot more noise then Karenbana was happy with, she was also pretty upset that I'd woken her up to go chase after a random ninja that hadn't even come near us.

"Look, if it's the leader of those four guys that ganked us earlier," I argued quietly, "We can beat him up and then turn the guy in back to the capital."

"Why?" Karenbana said quietly, "Trying to get an in with the Daimyo? Defeat the ninja, attacking them and earn their trust?"

I shrugged, but she had pretty much nailed it.

"You've got me all figured out," I admitted.

I was almost sure she was smirking in the dark.

"How strong is this ninja? Chunin?" Karenbana asked softly as we started approaching them.

I nodded.

We stopped at the tree line and peeked out onto the road, just in time for some woman to smash a rock over the back of Hinata Hyuuga's head. I stared in disbelief as the ninja actually got knocked out.

What the fuck?

I stepped out of the tree line, and Karenbana hissed in surprise.

"Oi," I said suspiciously, "How did you do that?"

I couldn't even land a fucking hit on some Genin, and this random lady was taking out named characters with a rock; this was some bullshit. The woman turned around, alarmed, and pointed the rock at me aggressively. I dodged to the side in case she threw it or something, but she just moved to point it at me again. I checked above her head for a second to see her name.

I observed them both while I had a moment.

Name: Hinata Hyuga

Title: Princess of the HyugaGender: FemaleAge: 13Level: 117Next Level: 45.55%Health Points - 980/1000Chakra Points - 1500/1500Vitality 100 Strength 80 Speed 120 Perception 105 Intelligence 90 Chakra 150 Status Effects: Unconscious.Emotions: Hope. Determination. Worry.History: Hinata was born in the Land of Fire. She is a member of the Hyuga clan's main branch and is a ninja of Konohagakure. She tries her best but feels like she is never good enough. She is a member of Team Ten.

Hinata looked pretty typical for a Genin, I think. I wasn't exactly a master of comparing strength, however.

I was beginning to think that there was something strange about the stats that ninja had. I had one-hundred and seven Speed, and Hinata had one-hundred and twenty, but there was a vast gap in my ability even to track these genin rank ninjas, let alone even consider fighting them.

It had been a long time since I had last observed Sakura, but I'm reasonably sure her stats had sucked. I think my Speed now was actually higher than hers was then, but I'm also sure that Sakura would have kicked both of those Genin's asses at the same time. I absolutely couldn't move at the same Speed she had been back on that beach. There had to be some hidden boost going on that observe wasn't listing.

I had actually observed all four of the guys that had attacked us, and I had several of them beat in a couple of areas, again, mainly Speed, but I couldn't keep up with their pace at all. It's part of the reason I had tried for a reflex skill in the first place. My best guess for what was going on here was that the stats that showed up with Observe were just their base stats before chakra enhancement got involved.