Chapter Five - Dreaming of Fools

I spent another five days just training before I finally did something daring, or perhaps stupid was a better descriptor.

I went into the city.

I had already had several run-ins with people along the beach over the last few weeks, none of them had made any hostile moves towards me, and nobody had come to investigate my camp afterward. I was a fair deal stronger now as well, so I assumed that it would be safe enough to try walking around the city.

I got some strange looks, which might have been because of my clothes or my height.

The people in the Land of the Moon seemed to average about five foot five, with the occasional six-foot outlier. My height of somewhere around six-and-a-half-foot stuck out, nobody commented on it though, in fact nobody made any attempt to speak to me at all, glancing away when I made eye contact.

Strange.

I was able to Observe a lot of noteworthy things from within the city, including things I never had a chance to see from the outskirts. I saw that the money they used to pay for goods wasn't the Ryo like I had expected, instead it was simply 'Moon dollars' only they were stamped metal coins with a half-moon printed on one side, and a stern face on the other. There were several denominations, ranging from as little as a '$1' Coin to a '$100' Coin.

It was extremely bizarre and It reminded me that I had '$100' in the bottom left corner of my inventory. I had initially thought it might be a normal one-hundred-dollar bill, but when I tested it a moment later, I found myself holding a single one-hundred-dollar coin of the local currency. What was even more interesting was that I could withdraw it from my inventory in smaller denominations as well, along with a little drop-down prompt that changed the currency between Ryo and Moon Dollars. I placed it back and pulled out two fifty-dollar coins.

This was really fucking weird.

The discovery that I had working currency was a curse that immediately made me want to spend it on something, but I managed to restraint myself from buying anything for now. People hadn't been near as weirded out by my clothing as I had first assumed they would be, what I needed was some more information because it had occurred to me last night that I might have been wrong.

What if this was after the King had been killed, but Shabadaba had won? What if Team Seven hadn't come here at all because it was movie material and not part of the main story? I had no idea, and I needed to find out immediately.

I could offer someone an undetermined amount of money in exchange for answering some of my questions, perhaps one of the many working girls. I had a few burning questions that I needed answering, namely, who the King currently was, and if it was the old straight-haired guy I needed to know if his son was currently on the island, or if he was somewhere else that should help narrow the timeline down. I needed to figure out whether or not Shabadaba had already overthrown the King or if he were about to try so I could either run away or do something about it.

I hadn't decided which yet.

I wandered around the city for several hours, observing everyone I met. I eventually stumbled upon a working girl performing a very lewd act in an alleyway. I waited out of sight until she had finished up and when her customer had vanished back I stepped into the alleyway and headed towards her.

Observe said her name was Yuna, twenty-seven years old, and she spotted me almost immediately, so I gave her a friendly wave.

"Hi!" I said happily. "I'm Sora."

The first person I had spoken to since I had arrived, I'm not going to lie I was pretty excited, being on your own for weeks at a time sucked. Yuna raised an eyebrow at my cheery disposition.