Chapter 1: Another Beginning

March 1, 2019 - Day 1
5:02 am

Joy let out a heavy sigh.

"Here we go again."

She looked at the city sign that stands proudly above the road. Welcome to the City of Jeju.

"...as if I'm really welcome."

This was perhaps Joy's 6th city move. Wait, was it 6th? She does not even know anymore. She refuses to count as she knows she will just be disappointed. She was used to this anyways.

Moving in to a new city, trying to make ends meet, meeting new people, messing up, and then being forced to leave. She has grown numb by now and she has thrown the idea of having a "home" down the bin.

She took a cab and went straight to the address flashed on her phone.

"Hello?" Joy tried to get the attention of the landlady who was busy watering her plants.

"Oh my, young lady! You surprised me. It's so early in the morning!", the landlady said as she placed her watering can down.

"I-I am sorry. I didn't mean to startle you.", Joy apologetically said. Wow, did I mess up already? Not even a few minutes in this city?

"No worries! I am just easily startled! My mornings are usually pretty boring so I was surprised when I saw you. Not to mention you are so pretty! Ah, my day is made already!", the landlady giggled while staring at Joy with fondness in her eyes.

Joy blushed at this comment. She rarely gets noticed by anyone anyways as she was just a nobody. Well, that's what she would like to believe.

"I booked this place online. Today is supposedly my move in date. Would that be okay?", Joy said as she looked at the 2-story apartment in front of her. It was a simple building, painted in pure white and adorned with several plants in front. It has good reviews online for being a place with close proximity to essential areas like the grocery store and the mall, on top of its privacy, cleanliness and decent facilities. The rent was higher than her previous one, but she was so sure she would not stay her for long anyways so might as well give herself a little treat.

"Ah, yes! My son told me about a new tenant. I'm Mrs. Yook, by the way. Sorry, I do not know those online apps you kids use nowadays. Come now, dear! Let me show you to our vacant unit", the landlady explained while scratching her head.

———

"Sungjae! Stop drinking already! Look how wasted you are!", Changsub complained as he tried to get a grip of Sungjae's 5th bottle.

As much as it was also a mystery was Sohyun left so suddenly, Changsub's priority now is to get Sungjae back to his senses. Changsub, Sungjae, and Sohyun were childhood friends despite the age gaps between them. They have been comfortable with each other and so it was not much of a surprise when Sungjae and Sohyun developed feelings for each other along the way.

Everything was okay between them until one day SoHyun decided to end everything and leave Sungjae in devastation.

"What did I do, hyung? I thought we were happy? I miss her so much! Where is she? Is there someone else? Am I not enough? I'm graduating next year! I'll make our business big! Didn't you see the app I made? It actually works! I can get travelers to book our properties! I can marry her after that! What's wrong, hyung?", Sungjae cried over and over and took his 6th bottle. Good thing Changsub has fast reflexes and snatched the bottle from him.

"That is enough, Sungjae! Look at you! How can you actually do those things when you're so wasted right now? Get up on your knees and work on your dreams. Everything has its right time. We will know in time".

In no time Sungjae was knocked down and was snoring loudly on the floor out of exhaustion.

"Aish this kid!" Changsub can only complain as he starts to clean up the mess Sungjae had made.

——-

A/N: Hi! This is my first Wattpad story. I would love to see your comments or votes just so I know if I would continue this! 'Til the next update! :)