Chapter 22: Way Back Home (Finale)

"Pssst," Sungjae gently poked Joy's left shoulder repeatedly. She has been extremely quiet since their reunion earlier at the airport lobby, just letting Sungjae lead her until they have eventually settled comfortably to their seats inside the airplane.

"Sooyoung-ah," he poked her again. Joy still did not bulge, though, as she just fixed her gaze to the night view offered by the airplane side window.

"Park Sooyoung," he gave her arm a little pinch, hoping for some attention... but still failing.

"Joy-aaaaah," Sungjae is starting to whine like a child. Why won't Joy look at him?! His lips started to shape into a pout.

Sighing, he tilted his head as he tries to think of another way to catch the young lady's attention. After a couple of seconds, a smirk started to grow on his face when an evil plan conceptualized in his head.

Sungjae scooted closer to Joy and rested his head on her shoulder.

"Hey, baby..." he softly said in his husky voice.

That single word sparked all the shivers on Joy's body in a snap. "Y-ya!" Joy screamed as her two hazel orbs widely darted towards Sungjae who was now mischievously smiling at her.

Finally, some attention! Sungjae laughed internally.

"Keep it down, you lovebirds!" an elderly man who was sitting across the aisle could not help but scold the bickering duo. "You two are adorable but I would like some sleep," he added before placing back his eye sleep mask.

Sungjae and Joy were taken aback by the stranger's sudden comment that the two turned into a blushing mess.

"You look like a tomato," Sungjae teased Joy in an attempt to hide his own reddened cheeks and ears.

"It's your fault," Joy softened her tone this time and rolled her eyes.

Sungjae reached out for Joy's hands and locked them in between his two big hands. "Now that I have your attention... can we please talk now?"

Joy bit her lip and nodded silently. There was no way she could get out of her situation right now, anyways.

Sungjae cleared his throat twice. "Let's see... where do I even start?" he was about to speak again when Joy cut him off.

"Maybe you could start with why you lied to me about Singapore," Joy said, hoping deep inside that she did not sound too bitter.

"Then I will start with sorry," Sungjae gave Joy's hand a little gentle squeeze. "I did go to Singapore for a business meeting, though. I did not lie about that. You can even ask Changsub hyung for my schedule!" Sungjae raised his palm as a sign of promise.

Seeing that there was no change in Joy's countenance, Sungjae continued his defense. "About SoHyun..." he paused for a while as he tries to come up with the right words. He definitely cannot mess this up.

SoHyun.

Joy's mind suddenly flashed back to the unexpected encounter with her. Bittersweet, indeed. She looked at Sungjae straight into the eyes. "Why did you leave her? She needs you. You're supposed to be with her," Joy's voice cracked. She felt she just pierced a sword to her own soul.

"No. I am right where I am supposed to be," Sungjae responsed sternly.

"I guess SoHyun told you about her plans about therapy, already. Yes, I was with her to accompany her after my business meeting... but only for a couple of days until her parents arrive to settle with her," he added, making Joy look at him with shock painted all over her face.