Chapter 16: The Cupcake Clue

June 6, 2022
4:48 pm

Sungjae took a deep breath of fresh air as he leans his back on a foldable chair. His bait has been cast and now the waiting game begins.

He hasn't had a quiet time like this for a while. His business, now known as 6SJ Incorporated, literally rose to the top among all companies in Jeju. But that also meant that he became busier and busier each day as its CEO. He's thankful that he got a free day... er, just a couple of hours in reality... to do some fishing today.

Sungjae was lost in his trance when his partner on the side suddenly shouted.

"Aish, Sungjae-ya! I still don't get why you like fishing?! I'm so bored! I think I'm going crazy. Ya, talk to meeeee" Changsub threw a small rock on Sungjae's arm. He really couldn't last a few minutes without talking.

Sungjae could only roll his eyes. "Hyung, can you just try even for once in your lifetime to not speak a word for an hour?"

"Ya! I can totally do that... when I'm asleep" Changsub laughed. He then looked at his maknae who seems to be really deep in his thoughts.

"Thinking of her?"

Changsub asked, as if he doesn't know the answer to his own question already.

Sungjae sighed. "You know that there's no day that I don't think of her, hyung" Sungjae took a bottle of water and took a quick gulp. "You know what's the most frustrating about trying to find her all these years? It's that I don't know where to even start. She doesn't even have social media to begin with. She changed her contact number. I never got the chance to ask for a copy of our photos and now I don't have a single picture of her... mainly as reference when I ask people around, but mostly just for me to look on when I miss her" Sungjae shook his head. He was filled with so much regrets.

Changsub stood and placed his chair closer to his maknae. He extended his arm and placed it over Sungjae's shoulders. "You tired already, kid?"

"Honestly, yes. But I'm not stopping, hyung. I'll find Sooyoung... no matter how long it takes me. I'll bring her home" Sungjae responded with determination in his voice.

*ring*

Changsub jumped a little with the sudden notification from his phone. It was a video call from his 3 year-old son. A smile automatically grew on his face. His marriage with Chorong had been smooth sailing, and his son was truly the cherry on top. He quickly swiped the screen to answer.

"Appa!!!"

"Why hello to my most handsome son Junseo who obviously got his genes from his most handsome appa!!!" Changsub goofily said.

"Yeobo, I can hear you from here! Don't claim all the genes of our son. I gave mine too, you know! Say that again or else I won't be giving my share the next time!" Chorong can be heard screaming on the background of the video call. Junseo laughed and tilted the phone to show his mom cooking in the kitchen.

"YA!! I'm just kidding, Yeobo! Let's always share genes, okay? What about tonight when I get home?" Changsub teased.

"Shut up! Your child can hear you!" Chorong shouted back.

"Appa!!! Are you with uncle Sungjae?" Junseo took over the video call again. His cheeks were so round and fluffy that they didn't even fit the screen when the child placed the phone closer to his face.

Sungjae heard this and grabbed the phone from Changsub. "Hello, Junseo! Missed your favorite Uncle? Ahh look at you!!! So fluffy!" Sungjae said as he waved his hand.