Chapter 21: The Heart Finally Chooses

September 2, 2022

Sungjae could not contain his excitement in seeing Joy after being apart for quite a time that he was an hour early for their meet up. He still could not believe that Joy is in Singapore as well, breathing the same air as him. That was honestly a bit cheeky to say, but perhaps their separation years back made him a complete sucker for Joy's presence.

"Hmm. Thirty more minutes," he looked at his wristwatch for the tenth time already, albeit unbothered at all.

He then took his phone and opened his camera to check his face. "Geez. Stop looking like you are going to poop. Relax. You. Are. Handsome. Yook can do it," he softly said to himself in a low tone in an attempt to calm down his nerves. He furtively glanced over his surroundings after realizing that he probably looks comical because of his actions. He gave out a sigh of relief when he had confirmed that no prying eyes were on him.

I just can't wait to see you, Sooyoung. Sungjae thought to himself with a big smile on his face.

-------

Meanwhile, Joy had been pacing back and forth in her hotel room. Waves of indecision had been drowning her the moment she woke up. She was unconsciously biting her fingernails because of the panic trickling in her veins.

"Ah, jinjja!" Joy slumped her body to the soft queen-sized bed and closed her eyes momentarily. In spite of the competing thoughts in her head right now, one memory broke through.

Stop that, Joy. You always leaving... you always running away will not solve any of your problems. Stop doing that, will you?!

She could hear Wendy's voice crystal clear. Her unnie was right. Every time that she has a problem on hand, her coping mechanism would be running away and keeping all the unresolved pain in her heart. It wasn't healthy anymore. She could not just let herself self-destruct.

Joy gathered herself and brought her body out of the bed.

"No backing out now, Sooyoung," Joy whispered as she finally made her way to the Merlion Park where Sungjae had been waiting for ages, unbeknownst to her.

------

The view in front of Sungjae was breathking. His spot at the Merlion Park provided him a great sight of the stunning Singapore city skyline. He thus decided to take out his camera, one thing that he had specifically made sure to bring with the intent to take tons of photos with Joy this time. Their lack of captured memories years back had frustrated him way too much already.

Just as he was about to angle his camera up in the air, his eyes caught a glimpse of a tall lady wearing a simple white dress but insanely radiating with beauty. Sungjae's mouth went agape as his heart pounded like crazy.

"Oppa?" Joy shyly greeted. Her eyes sparkled when she smiled.

Sungjae did not spare a moment and immediately took Joy closer to him, melting her in his arms. "Sooyoung-ah," he uttered softly as he rested his head to the crook of her neck. Her sweet fresh fragrance filled his nose. "You just made the view here in Singapore insignificant. Yeppeuda," he added sincerely.

"Psh, smooth talker" Joy barely said as she tries to mentally scold her heart for beating too fast. Sungjae's physical touch, in spite of its familiarity, always made shivers spark up and down her spine.

After a good minute of hugging, Sungjae finally let go to look at Joy in the eyes. He will never stop getting awestruck with her beauty.

However, being a prankster himself, he let out a little tease. "So you mean you travelled all the way to Singapore just because you missed me? I knew it. You are officially whipped for me, Park Sooyoung," he playfully smirked, hiding the fact that the statement probably applies more the other way around.