Chapter 14: The Birthday Clash

September 3, 2019 - Day 187
7:36 am

Joy turned her body left and right as she lays in bed. She didn't have enough sleep last night. The unexpected meeting with SoHyun was overwhelming for her, not to mention how Sungjae treated her as well. She spent the rest of her time after that just making her birthday cake to distract her from negative thoughts.

Oh, right... it's my birthday today.

Joy sheepishly smiled as she fluttered her eyes open. Maybe yesterday was a bad day, but today can be better. Sungjae promised to celebrate her birthday this year. There are still so many things to be thankful for, too- she has settled well in Jeju, she has caring friends, she's finally starting a regular job in a few days, and she has Sungjae.

Joy finally decided to get up from bed and head to the kitchen.

Hmm. What do people eat on their birthday breakfast? Joy chuckled at her own thoughts. This was all new to her.

She ended up making some fluffy pancakes, smoked bacon strips and scrambled eggs- Sungjae's favorites.

I'm so used to eating with you that I end up making your owe favorites, Oppa. I guess I'll have to invite you over then.

Joy tried to dial Sungjae's phone but to no avail. Thinking that he is probably still asleep, she decided to just pack the food and go to his unit.

She rang his doorbell as soon as she arrived in his front door. Although she knew his code, she had enough trauma from just barging in yesterday...

... but perhaps trauma seems to like her.

The door opened widely only to reveal trauma... er... SoHyun.

Joy's eyes widened. Nevertheless, she tried to compose herself immediately. "H-hi, SoHyun? Is Sungjae there?" She asked nervously. Last time she checked they were definitely not in good terms.

"Yes. What do you want?" SoHyun replies irritatedly while raising an eyebrow. Her eyes spotted the food pack Joy was holding and let out a sarcastic laugh. "Ohh, do you deliver breakfast to tenants here? Is that your job? I haven't seen a delivery girl in a while" she mocked.

Joy was horrified at SoHyun's remark. She knew they don't click, but she was shocked at her big attitude. Joy wasn't going to back down though. She has gone through way too many challenges in her life, and she has already learned to stand up for herself when people look down at her.

"I think you're mistaken. We usually eat breakfast together, SoHyun. So please excuse me, I'll just set these up" Joy said with a serious tone as she finally made her way inside Sungjae's unit.

"You bitch? Who do you think you are... trying to squeeze yourselves in our lives? I'm everyone's princess here. Stop acting like you're part of us. I saw what you did yesterday. You're acting all sweet to my oppas" SoHyun shouted back at Joy.

Joy could now feel her blood was boiling. The defenses she had tried to slowly let go months ago were starting to awaken again. She knows this scene. This was a scene were people mock her and make her leave. She will not let it happen again.

She dropped the utensils loudly on the table and faced SoHyun. "I know I'm just new here but I have done my best to adapt here. I have never harmed anyone. I don't plan to take your place. I'm here to make the most of my place. The people here have accepted me... and that includes Sungjae, FYI"

The mention of Sungjae's name ticked SoHyun. Sungjae is hers. She wanted all of Sungjae's attention. She's not letting anyone ruin her plans.

In a flash, she grabbed Joy's hair and tried to drag her to the door. Joy, although taken aback, didn't want to join SoHyun's petty fight and so she opted to just push her away with all her might.