Chapter 18: Lingering Doubts

"WAAAAAA!!!! I HATE YOU!!!!" Joy screamed her lungs out as she tightly embraced Sungjae's back. The poor girl couldn't even stand properly as her knees were shaking uncontrollably. Her eyes were closed tightly and she definitely feels that this is where her life ends.

Sungjae, on the other hand, was enjoying every single second of scaredy-cat Joy. He had purposely brought her to the highest peak in Busan to get the best view of the sunset for the day. He never wanted to scare her. Okay, maybe he did want to scare a tiny bit so she would cling to him like a koala but of course he will never admit that.

Feeling a little mischievous, Sungjae abruptly removed his Joy's hands and ran a few steps away.

"UWAAA!!! OPPA PLEASE!!!" Joy shouted while putting up her hands like a baby who wants to be carried. She still couldn't open her eyes out of fear.

Sungjae chuckled at this sight and immediately went back to firmly lock Joy in his embrace. "Mhmm... what did you say, Sooyoung-ah? Did you just call me Oppa, again?" Sungjae couldn't help but grin widely.

He then earned an expected hit on his stomach. "Whatever! Let's leave already. Please!! I don't want to die here!" Joy's grip was getting even tighter.

"Sooyoung-ah, just open your eyes even for just a bit" Sungjae reached for Joy's face to remove the hair strands that were covering her face.

Joy slowly opened her left eye... then her right. She then tilted her head to the side, but still letting it rest on Sungjae's chest.

There it was.

The most beautiful sunset she had ever seen so far.

Joy was so mesmerized by the beauty in front of her that she didn't notice her tears flowing down her cheeks already. The sunset had always given her peace and hope. She had been avoiding it for several years because she was afraid that it would give her those feelings again. But right now at this very moment, with Sungjae holding her tight at such scenic view... everything just felt... right.

"Sooyoung-ah... look at me please?" Sungjae softly tapped Joy's shoulder.

"N-no... the sunset's better than you" Joy teased to hide her blush. It was only then that she realized her extremely close proximity from Sungjae that she was afraid he would feel her fast heartbeat.

"Sooyoung-ah..." Sungjae didn't relent and tilted Joy's face towards him with his hand.

"I know it's still a long way to go with regards to earning back your trust. But I just want to tell you something that I wished I told you on the day you left..." Sungjae's eyes were getting teary. He looked at Joy with so much longing.

"I love you, Sooyoung..."

Sungjae cupped Joy's cheeks and continued, "...there wasn't a day I didn't regret how I treated you before. I'll pursue you until I can. I could only wish I realized it earlier... I could only wish I said it earlier. But Sooyoung-ah..."

Sungjae briefly paused and he rested his forehead against Joy's. "I'll never let you leave again..."

Joy looked away. She couldn't take the look on Sungjae's face. His eyes mirrored exactly what she feels, too... hurt. One more glance and she might break her walls again. But no... that shouldn't happen. She needs to protect herself this time. "I once believed your words, Sungjae. It did me no good. So please... let's just leave this place already and not waste anymore time" she bitterly said.