Chapter 9: Baby?

It was a weekday, and so the number of people at the amusement park was just handful. They could probably get in half of the rides if they wanted to as the lines weren't that long.

Sungjae and Joy looked at the towering colorful rides in front of them. Sungjae then turned his head to the lady beside him. He smirked, seeing Joy frozen on her spot.

"Hmm, Sooyoung-ah. Since I'm such a good Oppa, let's go to the Gyro drop last. We can try the baby rides first" he teased.

"H-hey! I'm not a baby! I can even go to the Gyro drop right at this moment!" Joy shouted in her defense. She was definitely horrible at hiding her true feelings.

"I didn't say anything about you being a baby, though? But if you say so. Gyro Drop it is. Let's go, baby" Sungjae's ears also got red as he said that last word. He just wanted to tease Joy but he got caught up with his own embarrassment. The last time he used that endearment was...

Ah. Never mind. Sungjae thought.

Joy, of course, was surprised. Whether because she just placed her life at risk by agreeing to go to the Gyro Drop or because Sungjae just called her baby, one thing is for sure- her heart is beating like crazy right now.

To avoid things getting even more awkward, Sungjae flicked Joy's forehead and joked, "Sooyoung, we haven't even been to the ride and it is as if your soul left you!"

"Ow!! That hurt! Ugh, let's go!" Joy stomped her way to the Gyro drop while Sungjae silently followed her from behind as he tries to suppress his laugh.

Once seated and placed with their safety belts, Sungjae looked again at Joy. She was really pale by now. One thing that Sungjae learned about Joy is that she really hides her feelings even if those feelings are unpleasant ones. He definitely knows Joy was scared of this ride and was just teasing her. Now that they are here, he felt quite guilty seeing the poor lady's face.

He silently reached out for Joy's hand and entangled it with his. He gave it a light squeeze causing Joy to look at him. He looked at her straight into the eyes and said, "I'm here, Sooyoung-ah. It's going to be okay"

With that, Joy started to relax and smile at Sungjae. She will never admit she's scared, but she can admit to herself that Sungjae gives her comfort.

"O-oppa. Thank you" was all she could say.

Sungjae smiles and nodded. That was all he needed to let loose. That was all he needed to learn another thing today, too- Joy hides her feelings, but he can see through her, and he wants to be there for her as much as he could. That's because... her comfort gives him comfort, as well.

I want to always see you smile, Sooyoung.

The two's self-reflection was abruptly halted when the ride started... and no other words were heard other than high-pitched 'Ahhs' until the end of the ride.

"Sooyoung-ah! Look at you! You look like a fish" Sungjae teased Joy as her hair was all over her face and her eyes were still wide, still trying to recover from the ride.

"T-that...was... AMAZING!!! We should go again, Oppa! I feel so alive!!!" Joy shouted like a child, not even minding how she looked like.

Sungjae chuckled. He reached out and cupped Joy's face, causing Joy to feel shivers in her spine. "I'm pretty surprised you liked that ride. You looked like a dead soul at the start, you know? But there are way too many rides here that we can also try. Let's grab something to snack on first then let's explore more, okay?" Sungjae softly said as his right hand fixes Joy's hair. Joy was obviously blushing but Sungjae chose to let this opportunity to tease pass for now.