Chapter 17: The Chase

June 8, 2022
5:48 pm

Sungjae and Eunkwang went straight to their hotel as soon as they landed in Busan. It was time for some rigid planning for "Operation Bring Joy Back" and Sungjae does not want to waste any time.

"Five minutes, Sungjae-yaaa" Eunkwang said as he slumped his body to the hotel's soft queen-sized bed. "Come to think of it, I haven't had any vacation for soooo long. We've been working non-stop" he continued while hugging a pillow.

Sungjae was not listening to Eunkwang, though. He was deep in his thoughts, just sitting at the corner of the bed and looking at the outside view that their huge hotel window could offer.

"Ya!" Eunkwang threw a pillow to Sungjae after noticing the latter's trance.

Sungjae took the pillow and threw it back to Eunkwang. "Hyung, I know it was crazy dragging you all the way here... but I'm just so desperate that I'll get whatever leads I can get" Sungjae lowered his head.

Eunkwang then scooted over to Sungjae's side and placed his arm over the latter's shoulders. "Hey, no big deal. We all miss Joy. But maknae... let's say Joy is here... what happens next? I'm going to be honest with you. I don't think she'll just talk to you right away" Eunkwang tilted his head to observe Sungjae more. He knows he is saying such harsh truths, but his maknae needs to consider those in order to plan his actions well.

"I know that, hyung. I hurt her. She'll probably ignore me the moment she sees me" Sungjae paused a while and let out a deep sigh. He hated the memory of the day he told Joy to leave. "That's why I need a forefront... someone who can lead Joy to me" he clicked his tongue as he continued.

"Woah!! Is that why you brought me here?! Umm, mind you Sungjae-ya. Joy knows me as well? She can ignore me too, you know!" Eunkwang was fidgeting. He, too, wasn't confident with seeing Joy again.

"Ya! Do you think I'm stupid?!" Sungjae exclaimed.

"Well actually yes bec-" Eungkwang was halted when Sungjae flicked his forehead. "Owww!!"

"Hyung, seriously. Of course, it won't be you. It should be someone she doesn't know yet so she won't create walls" Sungjae responded in a low tone.

"Huh? Who's it going to be then?" Eungkwang asked curiously.

Right at that moment, a knock on their hotel room door was heard. In a swift move, Sungjae went straight to open it to welcome a long-time comrade who actually lives in Busan.

"Seonho" Sungjae said.

———
June 9, 2022
9:35 am

The three boys were nervously sitting on the car parked right across a medium-sized bake shop. Sungjae took the box that Junseo's showed him the other day to check again the address written on it. He then checked the GPS on his phone to compare it.

"This is really the place" Sungjae said softly.

It was exactly how Junseo had described it. It was a one-story white building with pretty sunflowers on the outside and a blue door holding a name board designed with butterflies.

"Sweet Treats Shop... and yet I feel like I need to poo. Ahhh, hyung!!! Do we have to do this now?" Seonho bit his fingernails out of nervousness.

Sungjae looked at Seonho with pleading eyes. "I beg you, Seonho. Help me with this one. I just really need a way to talk to her... well, of course, I need to confirm that it's her first. Ahh, I'm going crazy too!" Sungjae ran his fingers through his hair.