Chapter 20: Fated Encounters

August 31, 2022

Joy kept squirming on her seat at she waits for her boarding time. The people around her has been giving her odd gazes, often raising an eyebrow or so, thanks to her non-stop fidgeting.

She's really doing it.

She's really going to Singapore to settle things once and for all.

Exactly what was there to settle... well, she can't clearly tell yet, to be honest. She's afraid to confirm whatever was going on between Sungjae and SoHyun... but she needs to know irregardless in order to spare herself from deeper wounds at the least. Better get hurt with the truth than live with lies anyways, right? That's what brave people like to say.

Soon enough, Joy's flight was called in and the plane took off smoothly. However, her mind was heavily clouded with confused thoughts, robbing her from good sleep. Wide-eyed, she eventually just gave in to the cheesy rom-com movies that were free to stream in the place.

Upon arrival and settling down her things at a cost-friendly hotel, Joy decided to grab some coffee at a nearby cafe to fully wake her system up. She doesn't have the luxury of time within her palms.

Three days. She only has three days to do her business here in Singapore. She couldn't leave Wendy all alone back in Busan longer than three days. Joy chuckled softly, though, with the sudden idea passing her mind of Wendy probably enjoying her time after all, with Peniel around. She has yet to place Wendy on a hot seat for that.

Joy groggily looked at the menu placed high on the wall while she was on queue.

Hmm. Interesting choices. I should consider these back in our shop. It was always the first thing that she would put more attention to whenever she goes to another cafe.

She was battling several options in her head when she felt a small gentle tap on her shoulder. It was so gentle that Joy couldn't figure if somebody had just accidentally bumped into her or she was purposely being summoned. Turning around, she was in for surprise.

Yes, the universe loves to play with her.

Yes, it's none other than...

her.

"Annyeong, Joy-ah... I, um, saw you enter the cafe earlier but I wasn't so sure. I figured it was really you after a few more minutes" SoHyun showed a soft smile, but her eyes reflected something different... something more like a blend of sadness, guilt and fear.

Okay. What is happening? Last time we were together you were practically pulling out my hairs stands? Joy's mind argued to itself.

"A-annyeong, SoHyun? Um..." Joy couldn't find the right words to say. It was way too awkward and weird at the same time.

"Their caramel macchiato frappe is good. You should try that" SoHyun commented to break the silence between them while also looking at the menu. "I'll get it for you. Just relax over my spot there" she smiled while pointing at a table before heading to the barista implacable. Perhaps she was trying to get away briefly with the awkward bubble that has formed over them.

Joy didn't do better and was too dumbfounded to deny SoHyun's offer herself. She had no choice but to slowly make her way to the corner of the cafe where SoHyun's belongings were.

She was just staring blankly at the semi-opaque glass window to her left when SoHyun handed out a tall caramel macchiato frappe in front of her to get her attention.

"So..." SoHyun cleared her throat before gauchely sitting in front of Joy. "What brings you here, Joy?" she looked at her filled with much curiosity. Joy couldn't tell if it was a question meant to mock her existence here or whether it was merely a harmless one.