Chapter 72

Hi my lovelies! 

Reading all your comments on the last chapter made me howl (excuse the pun) with laughter - I love reading them when you're all angry or shocked. 

I literally love you all.

I hope you enjoy the new one! x 

P.s. I've really missed Kristie and her sassy comments - she's always a bit brutal and I love her. x 

.

.

.

CHAPTER 72

I didn't think it was possible but if anything, Matt had gotten more arrogant. 

As he sidles up beside Cam I rip my hands away from my friend and stumble back, not wanting to be anywhere near the asshole that I used to call my boyfriend. 

"I thought I could smell something bad," Kristie mutters from behind me, "I should know the stench of a rat by now."

It's like he's a lion eyeing up his prey, walking back and forth, prowling until he has a chance to attack. I didn't like the feeling of being trapped, locked in his sights and powerless to do anything but stay still and hope that I don't trigger him. Kristie had always been braver when it came to him - she never hid her dislike, but she didn't know what he was really capable of.

"You better watch your mouth," Matt chuckles, his jaw clenching, "Or I might just have to do something about it."

"Bite me, Daley."

His hands slam on the metal bars, making the whole frame shake. He spits at Kristie, his nostrils flaring as he growls warnings at her. 

The two of us flinch back in response which only makes him grin and settle back down after a moment, his smug smile stretching across his face at the knowledge that he still scares us.

Scares me.

Maybe he always will.

"As I've always said, Anna," Matt says sardonically, his eyes coming back to me, "You have impeccable taste in friends."

I don't miss the way his eyes shoot over to Cam, or how the latter's face drops at the insinuation. 

"It's Elle, actually," I hiss back, my fists clenching at my sides, "And if they're so bad why is it that you've made one of them your friend."

Matt scoffs at the idea and rolls his eyes, looking at his nails with faint disinterest.

"Don't get smart with me, Anna. We're not friends," he laughs, "We just have a common enemy. Enemy of thy enemy and all that boring literature that you enjoy, shouldn't you know that?" 

I feel sick. My bones feel like they're rattling, shaking me to my core. He's unhinged, I can see it in the ticking of his neck and the way his fingers keep twitching every few seconds. I didn't know this person - not in the slightest.

But maybe I never did.

Maybe Tracey was right when she said that he'd be far worse if I hadn't tried to help him - maybe this was just his true nature finally breaking free. 

"And your enemy is Trent?" I state, watching how the curve of his lip changes at the mention of his name, "And your plan is what? To wait for him to come and get me? String me out like bait?"

"No, Elle," Cam says softly, reaching for me again, "That's not-"

"Do you honestly think we're that cliche?" Matt interrupts, shooting daggers at Cam whose mouth snaps shut as he crosses his arms, "You being here is a surprise to us all considering after this morning we had to come up with a new plan after someone took the wrong girl."