Chapter 76

5639 words.
This was hard.
There will most likely be typos/grammar mistakes because it's hard to type through tears.
I love you guys.

.

.

.
CHAPTER 76
THE FINAL CHAPTER

I could barely breathe.

Every step that we're dragged outside feels like another dagger into my chest, it makes my legs weak and my eyes water, my heart threatening to lurch from behind my ribcage.

The tape across my mouth doesn't help either.

Kristie is dragged behind me, Luke holding her with her arms tied behind her back. The rope around my own wrist burns my skin as I try to loosen it, the sharp pain minimal in comparison to the dread that is filling me.

As we come around the corner from the building I stumble onto the grass, the sounds from my throat like sobs as I try to push the figure holding me out of the way.

I had to stop this.

"Stop struggling," Matt hisses in my ear as he twists his hands, causing the rope to dig in further as he yanks me into him, eyes like ice, "Don't make this harder than it has to be, Anna."

"Her name is Elle."

At the sound of his voice, everything goes quiet, my body goes still. It's like the words are a breath of air into my lungs and knowing he's close lets me breathe again. It stops the world from crumbling around me.

He's standing across the field, his steps strong as he makes his way towards us, hands clenched into fists at his side. As soon as I see him all the ideas in my head, all of the questions and conspiracies, they all die. Seeing him makes me realise how stupid Cam's accusations were, how crazy it is to think that the feelings I have for this man were anything less than pure love and adoration. There was no spells or powers, no persuasion or control - he is mine and I am his.

Always.

My moment of happiness quickly falls when my mind quickly puts two and two together; his human form only wearing a pair of shorts and the empty space behind him.

He's alone.

And vulnerable.

When his eyes find mine I see his face morphe, his eyes roaming over my tear-streaked cheeks and my knees that are grazed from hitting the ground so many times. By the time he makes his way back to my eyes, he looks both furious and distraught.

"Are you okay," he says softly, his voice floating across the space between us while ignoring Matt's scoff of disapproval and his mocking voice. I nod in response, my heart fluttering when the creases between his brows seems to dwindle a little in relief.

God, I wish he could hear me.

"So nice of you to join us," Matt muses, his nose brushing against my hair, "I was starting to think you were going to miss all the fun."

I hold in the whimper that threatens to bubble in mouth, my determination to be strong washing over me.

I need to stand my ground, I couldn't let Trent see how scared I really was - he couldn't give in to Matt.

"How could I miss it?" Trent growls, his voice lower than I've ever heard before, "Then there wouldn't be anyone here to kill you."

Matt stops his chuckling to peer down at me, his expression full of arrogance but I can also see a flicker of fear as he clears his throat.