Chapter 18 ; Quiet Girls are Always the Most...

"Hey, it's a huge 80-kilometer adventure...that's all" Senku notified as he glanced beside to look at the limping tigress who attempted to simulate her injury by pretending to be able to walk.

Her lip biting, and subtle shaking as she made her leg to pause and force itself to straighten to bend for a simple step were a give away.

Not to mention the way she looked she was in heaven when they were able to rest.

"Two full marathons, huh?" Taiju deduced "five hours out to do it!"

"Only for a meathead like you." Senku sneered 

Yuzuriha smiled at Taiju's sweetness and stretched out a hand to catch the falling cherry blossom leaf. "The cherry blossoms seem different"

"The cherry blossoms we know, prunus yedoensis, aren't self-pollinating"

"Which means..."

"They must have extinct right off the bat." He responded to Yuzuriha as he keek over to observed Taiga who repeated Yuzuriha's action to catch the leafs. Catching one, and then another, and another, after another. Like a little kid popping bubbles.

A small smile rested on her lips and her eyes were kind and calm like a gentle mother. "So they are a new species?"she asked her eyes stuck on the pink leafs.

"Yes. They are similar but they aren't the cherry blossoms we knew before the stone world. This cases happen where a creature goes extinct and reappears as a different species."

"Is there a name for such thing?" She asked as she looked at his crimson eyes that suddenly widen to her question. Or perhaps it was her brown golden eyes that instigated his reaction. He wasn't sure.

All he knew was that he had the desire to stare at those earthy, dangerous eyes where he knew he was approaching a depth of-something unforgiving- something that would feel like diving into a black hole where none returns to tell the tale.

Yet he would do a discovery. How exhilarating it would be.

"No

"No. Each species has their own name. Whether they derive from the same family is a different subject, but if a species is found once again, that would be called 'rediscovered', ten billion percent obvious. If an animal is different from what it was due to a mutation, then that's another species and would be labeled differently" he explained as he stared at Taiju's back and Yuzuriha beside him gaining speed ahead, occasionally looking back to see if they had not fallen behind.

Inside the forest, the girl of pretty lips took careful steps on the undefined ground that heave and dropped as if it couldn't decide if to be high land or a plain. Branches obstructed their way, multiple fallen trees too, sprawled open, the softer tone of the inside of a once firm standing trees releasing a fresh wood smell — a giant must've traveled through here.

The 80- kilometer journey was a killing race. Literally. Senku was dragging his feet upon the land he wanted to float and go against gravity to walk not even one more step. There were barely any breaks due to the race they were in, but Senku gifted them breaks because of the injured tiger.