I Gotta Tell Her

(Mark POV)

I open my eyes and am greeted by Amy, who is already up and getting dressed. I ask what time it is and she responds with "8:30-ish." I sit up and stretch. I sit there for a second, blinking the sleep out of my eyes, then finally stand up to get ready for the day. While I brush my teeth, I think of Ethan. While I get dressed, I think of Ethan. While I stretch, I think of Ethan. While I work out, I think of Ethan. While I make breakfast for me and Amy, I think of Ethan. It's safe to say I think of Ethan a lot. With all that's going on in my mind, I start to worry. What'll happen when Amy finds out? What'll she say? Will she be angry? Well, no time like the present, I suppose. "Amy, I have something I need to talk to you about," I say to her while I set our plates down on the table. She had been working on something on her laptop and started to eat while still looking at the screen. I figure it's good that she's distracted right now. It'll be easier to tell her that way. In between bites she says, "okay, love. Whatever you need." I take a few bites of my food. I don't think I'll be able to eat much after this conversation, so I might as well eat what I can now. I take a few quick gulps of my water and sigh. I look at my hands and start to fidget with the watch on my wrist. "Amy, this is gonna be hard to hear and it's hard to say, but I need to say it because you deserve to know the truth." When the words come out Amy seems to take a second to process them. I see her slowly look towards me out of the corners of my eyes. I hear her put her fork down on her plate, probably preparing herself for the news she's about to hear. I clear my throat and sigh once more. Here goes nothing. I shut my eyes tightly, not wanting to see her reaction, and part my lips. "I think I have a crush on someone. And it's not you. I'm sorry." I feel my whole body start to tense up as I anxiously await her response. I hear her start to say something and almost flinch, so terrified for what's about to happen.
"Oh, Mark," a million thoughts race through my head at once, trying to predict what'll happen, what she'll say. Things like "How could you?" or "What is wrong with you?" Her packing up her things and slamming the door behind herself, never wanting to speak to me again. Oh God, this is stupid. I'm going to lose Amy because I have a stupid crush on my stupid best friend. What am I, in high school? This is so dumb. I'm so dumb. Oh, dear God. Here we go.