What Now?

"Oh, Mark." She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I tried to steady my breathing, but it got really hard as a lump started to form in my throat. Amy spoke, her voice soft, yet broken, "It's okay. It does hurt, but I know you can't help it. This is definitely hard, because I really do love you, but I'll try to understand. Thank you for telling me." She sounded so distraught. I opened my eyes to look at Amy and saw a single tear escape from her eye and she quickly wiped it away. Knowing that I was the reason for her shakey voice and watery eyes made my heart shatter into a million pieces. I hated seeing her this way. I hated doing this to her. Breaking the awful silence, Amy spoke up. "So... What now?" I thought for a second, trying to find out what I wanted and what was best for us. Best for her. "I- ... I think we need to take a break." I could tell that wasn't what she wanted to hear, but she didn't say anything. She curled her body slightly as she gripped her knees, knuckles going white, and tears quickly overflowed her eyes. God, why'd I have to do this? Is this what I wanted? I don't know. Was this the best option? Should I have said anything? Why don't I know anything? I sighed. "Well," Amy broke the silence once more, "What do we do?" I remembered all the favors I've done for Ethan. I want to make this as easy for Amy as I can. I let him stay at my place for a while when he first moved to L.A., I'm sure he'd be happy to return the favor. "I can ask Ethan if I can stay at his place for a while? I'm sure he wouldn't mind, he did stay at our place for a while when he moved." I saw her nod slowly, "I'll pack my things today and talk to him about it later tonight." Amy let out a quiet, "okay," - almost in a whisper - and I got up to hug her. We stayed like that for a while until I pulled away and hesitantly went to pack. I think we have some boxes laying around somewhere...