03

~ phoenix ~

My eyes stung.

They'd stolen my vision, and the light. Although I could hear low voices, feel rough hands and smell revolting smoke, I couldn't see anything. I was shrouded in darkness, suffocating beneath a blanket of inky blackness. I was drugged. They could do... anything... anything to me, and I couldn't even cry.

No matter how much effort I pushed into the simple act of opening my eyes, they remained blind. I wondered if the killers could see my tears when I felt calloused fingers wrap around my hair to pull my head up. I was sitting on something hard and cold and I felt a stinging burn at my wrists.

All of a sudden, ice was thrust at my face and like magic, my eyes snapped open. It took the longest moment for me to come to my senses. The hand in my hair grew more forceful and I was convinced it'd pull out my hair. With agonising slowness, I resisted and tried to look around. All I saw was a glimpse of a sort of dark, empty warehouse before my head was forced back.

"Отпусти ее," a heavy, resonant voice spoke. [Let her go]

Instantly, the offender pulled back, leaving my head to fall forward. Drenched in cold water, I shivered as I raised my eyes to meet his. Our gazes battled. Icy droplets fell from my cheeks to my shackled wrists. My legs were strapped back to the metal chair I sat on. Fire screamed in my aching limbs. In that moment, I forgot fear and panic. Instead, I focused on the pain, the rage and the hate. My lip rose in a snarl and I spat, "You fucker. Untie me."

He took a threatening step forward. "Не проверяй меня, сука," the monster growled. [Don't test me, bitch.]

"Fuck you," I seethed again. The bastard clearly didn't speak English.

"I will say this one more time, сука. Stay in your limits." [bitch]

So he could speak English. I took a deep breath. This must be a misunderstanding. I never saw anything... "Why am I here?" I asked, resorting to pleading. "I swear I didn't see anything, let me go!"

"Shut up, сука," he warned lowly, "I will ask you questions and you will answer. If not..." To communicate his threat, he conjured a handgun and popped off the safety.

Despite the draught in the room, sweat began pooling beneath my torn dress. God, how did I get into this fucking mess? Were Gianna and Tabby searching for me? Did they know I was gone?

"What is your name?" he demanded.

"Er, Lacey," I lied.

"If you lie to me, I will know, сука."

I didn't know what language he was speaking in let alone what his little nickname for me meant, but by the tone of his voice I could guess it was far from endearing. "Pheonix Vale," I relented, looking at my bruised thighs to conceal the tears.

"Who sent you?"

My head shot back up. Did he think I was a spy? "I-I dont know what y-you mean..."

"DON'T FUCKING LIE TO ME, ТЫ БЕЗОПАСНАЯ СУКА!" he suddenly roared. [You worthless bitch]

At the sudden outburst, I flinched so hard I almost fell backwards with the chair. His inked arm shot out to pull my seat forward, closer to him. I was shaking visibly, so much that I couldn't keep my jaw shut. "I swear," I began to sob. "please."

The monster began to circle me. "Is it the Mogilevich? Or Wolfgang? I will ask you last time, сука, who the fuck sent you?"

I stared at him, fearfully, with watering wide eyes. I was petrified that arguing my innocence further would send him into a merciless rage.