05

~ phoenix ~

"What?"

I stared at him with a mixture of incredulity and anger. Who the hell did he think he was? First, he insinuated I wasn't good enough for him. And now, he wanted me to strip? It didn't work like that, douchebag.

"No," I stated with as much force as I could muster, looking him dead in the eye. The only thing I had left here was my dignity. And all hell would be unleashed if anyone took that from me.

"No?" he repeated. The look on his face was a dangerous half-grin, half-smirk, like a toxic combination of amusement and challenge.

Suddenly fear struck. He wouldn't make me, would he?

"No."

Now, he wore a fully-fledged smirk. It was ego. "I don't think you understand, дорогой," the monster mused, licking his lips, "I never asked you." [darling]

"I. Will. Not. Strip," I nearly growled, holding my ground. I enunciated every word to make my message extremely clear.

"Maybe you just need a little help," he smirked, venturing closer.

I inched back until I was trapped against the headboard. I was suddenly very conscious of the fact that I was still only clad in the little dress from the night of the club. I wondered how long ago that was. It felt like years. I yanked the bottom of the dress down until it almost reached my knees.

To my horror, his fingers moved closer until they grazed the inside of my thigh. Anger burst in my veins. How dare he?

I didn't realise what I was doing until the deed was already done. My hand had swung back and then slapped him right across the cheek. The satisfaction lasted only for a fraction of a second when I assessed the bright red marring his slightly stubbled cheek. But as soon as my eyes met his, the gratification was quickly replaced with terror.

Those stormy eyes were livid. Thunder and lightning struck on his face as shock turned to palpable fury. He stared at me, long and hard for an agonising moment. My eyes widened as I tried to sink impossibly further into the wall behind me. My nervous gaze flickered quickly from his face to his fists, that clenched and unclenched threateningly. Petrified, I swallowed a scream. The silence was unbearable. What did I do?

After what felt like centuries, he moved backwards and off the bed. Tearing my gaze away before I was sucked into the darkening pits of fury, I looked down into my lap. I hoped that I wasn't shaking visibly, like my breaths faltered.

The anticipation of pain was short lived because suddenly, without a word, he turned and left, slamming the door and leaving me all alone in the cold unfamiliar room.

I should be pleased, proud, satisfied. So why did I feel a wave of regret wash over me, numbing my mind? I was sure there'd be a punishment, a consequence. He'd be back soon and this time, he'd finish the job he swore to do. Frantically, I rose and looked around the room for a weapon. Nothing.

Then, my eyes searched for an escape route. I quickly walked to the door and tugged at the handle, to no avail. Of course, it was locked. Soon, my gaze wandered to the only window in the room. I looked at the small frame, which could hardly be called a window. But the small handle told me it could be opened. I was certain I could squeeze myself through, even if it hurt.

With a settled mind, I moved to the dresser to push it below the window. Surprisingly for its four feet height, it was unbearably heavy. After a few long minutes, I was panting and sweating but I'd managed to position it for my getaway. Tiptoeing on it, I peaked over the edge.

Sweet mercy. I could barely see the ground. That bastard had kept me on at least the third floor. A jump below would certainly result in a few broken bones. But what if I used the bedsheets? As quickly as the plan formulated in my mind, I was tying the sheets together and lowering it to the ground. Then, I secured it with a tight knot to the window handle. After tugging at it a couple of times, I was sure I wouldn't be damaged by more than a few scrapes and scratches. Possibly, even a sprained ankle.

Positive thoughts Phee. I could almost hear Tabby's soft, encouraging voice beside me and my eyes began to water. But, no, there was no time to cry. Gia would probably say something along the lines of, woman up hoe. God, I missed them terribly but I couldn't afford to waste time dwelling over the pain.

Not when I had a chance at escaping. And if I was really in Russia, someone had to help me, right?

Without missing a beat, I climbed the dresser and swung a leg out of the window. After much difficult bending my body at an impossible angle to fit through the damn hole, I was hanging by just a rope of linen sheets. Don't die, Phoenix. That was something they'd both say.

I slowly began to inch down. As I grew closer to the god-loving ground, I noticed only a single muscleman guarding an entrance into the building. Beyond that, there was a vast space that was filled with countless cars. What if I stole one of those?

I waited for the muscleman to disappear from view, when I eventually leapt from seven feet high where the rope ended to the ground. There was a slight click in my left ankle, but after testing it, there didn't see to be much pain. Besides that, there were only a few grazes on my bare arms and legs from scraping against the rough brick on the way down. With a breath of relief, I half-ran, half-crouched to the parking lot, being incredibly careful to stay out of sight.

When I reached the jawdroppingly expensive vehicles, I searched for the fastest looking one. Soon, I decided on a red, streamlined Ferrari, considering most of the other cars were bulky SUVs. After a quick prayer, I tugged at the door handle and miraculously, it came open. I climbed nervously into the front seat, where a set of keys sat plugged into ignition. It was like they wanted me to escape.

I just had gotten my driving licence before summer break has started. And that was after I failed the test thirteen times. It was just my luck that I was sitting stranded in the middle of nowhere in an expensive fastcar that I had no idea how to drive. Cautiously, I pressed a red button and to my relief, the car came to life. Lights illuminated the interior and a screen lit up, saying 'Welcome, Aleksey'.

Wait, that was the name of the blonde hulk. This was his car that I was going to steal? If he didn't hate my guts already...

I sucked in a sharp breath and geared the car into reverse and then, I pulled out. All the windows were tinted so I was relieved when the bulky guard I saw earlier didn't try and lunge at me when he saw the car approach. Instead, he spoke into his com and miraculously, the front gates swung open.

Doubt began to fill my mind as I sped out of the compound. This was way too easy. I couldn't just disappear like that with a million dollar car and just get away with it. But nonetheless I accepted my fate and slammed my foot down on the accelerator. Where was I even going to go?

Ahead of me were isolated roads, lined with trees and mountains. Hope began to deflate when I considered the possibility that the silver-eyed monster was telling the truth... I was actually in Russia.

All of a sudden, loud deafening sirens began to screech behind me. In the side mirror, I watched as flurry of commotion unfolded at the compound gates. Several dark bodies moved chaotically around the building and then to my horror, a familiar black Lamborghini shot out of the building.

Shit.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎