Chapter 32

I blinked rapidly. Hoping, no begging, that this wasn't another twisted sick dream dream. I nip away at the skin on my arm. No, this definitely wasn't a dream. I throw my head back in laughter which soon changed to tears. Big, fat tears of joy. I wipe them away from my eyes even so my smile never falters. I must resemble the cheshire cat but I don't care. I laughter erupted from my chest again. He was alive and okay. What were the odds? Out of everyone on that plane that lost their lives, both of us were okay. My whole body overflowed with joy and happiness. I wanted to see him, to make sure.

"Take me to him." I say. Well, it's more of an order.

"I will talk to a nurse about it." Charlie says.

"No you will take me to him. This isn't up for discussion." I demanded. I glared at both boys waiting for them to challenge me but the challenge never came only a quick remark about a wheelchair before Charlie dashed out of the room. Reece chuckled and I turn to him and raise an eyebrow.

"Only you could strike fear in someone from a hospital bed." He said while he shook his head at me with a grin on his face.

"What can I say it's a talent?" I say dryly. Earning yet another chuckle.

"I love that about you. You have a fire that burns inside you and a desire to fight for what you want and who you love. You are caring and forgiving. You are never boring and you're strength never fails to amaze me." He whispered, stroking a stray hair from my face.

"Well it's not like you ever made it easy for me," I snap harshly at him. That shut him up quick enough. I had to prove he was going to have to work for it. I wasn't going to melt again.

When Charlie returned the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. No words had been spoken after my small outburst. I was relived to see Charlie but was puzzled when he returned without a wheelchair. How did he expect me to go see Liam? Walk? If he hadn't forgot I couldn't move because of a broken leg. Then he moved to the right and I was not amused in the slightest to see a small nurse following behind him. I glared at him but he just shrugged. Oh he was going to get it when I could walk again.

It took a while to convince the nurse to let me out of my hospital bed but eventually I was in a wheelchair with all the necessary drips and machines attached. Charlie stood behind me and started to push. I hate this, I feel so helpless. But I will put up with it to see Liam. It took us a good fifteen minutes to get to the doors of the intensive care unit, but as we reached the doors, Charlie came to an abrupt stop.

"Are you prepared for this? He's in rough condition." He warned.

I nod in reply not really trusting myself to speak.

As I was wheeled round the corner the sight before me socked me, I wasn't prepared for this even with Charlie's warning. The person on the bed before me was barely recognisanle. He was broken and bruised. His face lit up as he saw me turn the corner. The twinkle in his eyes reminding me my best friend was still there. Charlie parked my wheelchair right next to his bed and before I could even utter a word he started talking.

"Before you say anything, I know I was stupid but it was totally worth it." Was the first thing he said as I was wheeled up to the side of his bed. The boys muttered a goodbye leaving us to have our moment in private. I couldn't help but crack a smile at that.

"You're an idiot." I state but there is no heat behind it only love. Love for a friend, who risked his life for me without even thinking about it. A debt I will never be able to repay. I rest my head on his arm as I trace the cut which will soon become scars. I can't help but let out a choked sob as I remembered seconds before impact, kyle unbuckling and wrapping himself strong me, in a last second attempt to protect me.

"I did it because I couldn't live in a world without you but you, Lauren, you are stronger than anyone I have ever met. You are a survivor. You could survive without me." I shook my head, a world with Liam, it's just unimaginable, unbearable. "Yes you would, it's not like you would be alone. If I had died, I would become you badass guardian angel and watch over you, personally I think I would be able to rock the whole wings thing." I giggle at the thought. "In all serious No matter what happened I would alway be here." He says pointing to my heart.

"All that matters is that you are here now." I whisper. "I love you Liam, You are my other half, you complete me, without you life wouldn't be worth it. I wouldn't survive without you."

"I love you too lauren but life is always worth it." He says with a smile.

"Now for the scariest part?"

"What would that be?

"Calling Grandma." I said with a smirk, watching his face go ghostly pale as he groans. How could someone who was just in a plane crash still be scared of a little old lady?

To say Grandma's reaction to finding out he got on a coach without telling him was explosive would have been the understatement of the century. It was more nuclear. After her first initial outburst she quietly cried on the phone and asking if we were okay. Soon she was on the next coach here. I mean who could blame her, he was her grandson and only remaining family member left. I couldn't help be jealous of the bond they shared. Yeah she scared him but the love between the two was strong. She only ever did the things to keep him safe.

I could only dream of having that relationship with my mum. There had been too much damage done. It would be like trying to fix a broken glass with sticky tape, impossible.

"You should call your mum," Liam says with a squeeze of my hand, he always could read me like a book.

I sent him a small smile, "I don't think that would be a good idea."

"If I learnt anything today, is that time here is too precious to lose the ones you love, you need to hold them close not push them away, treasure them because you never know when you are going to lose them. God, that was so cringely cliche, what meds they have me on have made me loopy." He laughed lifting the heavy atmosphere.

I nod slightly and take Liam's phone of the bedside,I dial the number which I can never forget. It was time to let go of the past. Try to fix it. It might not work but I have to try, she is my mother after all. The phone began to ring. I thought over an over about just hanging up. I was sick to my stomach about how this was going to go.

"Hello, hello is anybody there." She answered, wow I really didn't think this through at all.

"Mum, its me Lauren." My voice rough filled with emotion. I hadn't realised how much I had missed her, till I heard her voice ring out through the phone.

"Lauren, how are you? Is something wrong?"

"Um there... there-" Before I could reply a beeping filled the room, Liam's body went rigid and start to shake. The machines rang out in alarm. Doctors run in, panic written across their faces. Nurse shuffled in, rushing

"We have to get you out of her, miss." I nurse had appeared but I didn't want to move my eyes glued to Liam convulsing body. Only a second ago he was okay and now my world feels like it is falling apart crushing me underneath.