06

~ phoenix ~

I desperately stomped on the accelerator, watching in the rear view mirror as the sleek Lamborghini grew imperceptibly closer. Damn, I should've chosen that one. It seemed to have a faster speed than the Ferrari's measly 180 mph. That sucked.

Ahead of me was an intersection.

Wait, what if...? A sudden idea sprang to my mind and the possibility, no matter how slight it was, of being successful was too irresistible to pass up. I slowed as I approached the double roads, wanting him to grow closer. The plan wouldn't work if he was too far and could see me turn. My eyes frantically looked left and right. Which way should I go?

I took one last glance at the rear view mirror to find two pools of stormy rage staring back at me. Then, I began to turn left. My gaze followed his movement as he violently swerved left with me. I took a deep breath, and at the last second, I yanked the steering wheel to the right. Rubber screeched angrily against the rough tarmac of the road. The Ferrari began to dangerously tilt upwards.

But I made it.

Once again, I slammed down on the accelerator and barrelled down an empty road. In the mirror, I saw his Lamborghini come to an angry halt on the opposite road before he began reversing. But now I was a few hundred metres ahead, I could lose him. I could escape. The thought rekindled some hope and thankfully, the gas meter showed that the sportscar had enough juice to keep me on the road a little longer.

I drove for another few minutes and soon, the Lamborghini became an irrelevant speck of dust in my rear view mirror. Although I'd escaped, there was still the fact that I was lost in an unfamiliar continent and that monster seemed to have a lot of power. I was still in trouble.

What would I do? Where would I go? If I could get to an airport, I could fly to Poland to Babs and Dza. Getting a flight back to Chicago seemed impossible and to Milan, reckless. But even if I did miraculously make it to an airport, I had no money. Could I call my grandparents-

SCREEECHH!

My foot came thundering down onto the brakes, until I was only a few feet away from the unexpected obstruction.

A line of mammoth black SUVS stood before me. In front of them, men with guns.

My breathing stopped completely. Were they his men? How did they get here so quickly?

At the front of the heavily armed crowd stood a smirking man. His hair was greying and the creases on his forehead were deep. Despite his age, he stood tall and proud, brandishing a long heavy sniper. He lifted the scope to his eye and the barrel of the gun was pointing directly at me. I opened my mouth in a silent scream and closed my eyes but it was too late.

BANG!

But I felt no pain... was I dead?

Opening one eye, I was faced by a shattered windscreen and right before my face was a long golden bullet lodged in the cracked glass. I realised with relief and horror that the car was bullet proof. But why? Who were these men?

The old man looked unphased and loaded another bullet into his sniper. But by now, the shock has worn off.

Terrified, I put the gear in reverse and began to move back. Red lights were flashing in the car and a small alarm was going off. Danger, the screen read. Well, no shit.

Something in the rear view mirror caught my attention. A car was speeding forward. The black Lamborghini.

I felt even more panicked. I was cornered.

FUCK! I shouldn't have never gone to that freaking club! All I wanted was an unforgettable summer before college... A sob rose in my throat. I definitely got what I asked for, I thought angrily.

I stopped reversing and now the car was horizontal between the two attackers. To my horror, more cars became visible behind the Lambo. How many men did he have? Who was he? Why did he want to keep me?

The old man lowered the weapon when he caught sight of the cars on my others side. My eyes flickered frantically between the two. Who was going to come forward first?

But surprisingly, neither party were any longer interested in me. The silver-eyed devil climbed out of his sportscar and held a handgun threateningly in the air.

Then, with fury and loathing coating his voice, he roared, "Mogilevich, leave. Or die."

I flinched. Was he talking to me?

No, his eyes were trained behind me.

My brows furrowed as a frown set on my lips. They weren't together? But did that help my situation? No, they both wanted to kill me. I had two mysterious enemies. Frozen and helpless, I silently watched the exchange.

The old man cackled. "The only person who'll be dead today is your innocent girlfriend, Ivanov," he said menacingly. His eyes fell on me.

Wait, what?

"I will tell you one more time, пизда," the monster warned, "leave." [cunt]

In response, the old man smiled a repulsive smile. His front two teeth, a hideous gold, shone disgustingly in the sun's glare. Wordlessly, he rose a gun again. This time it was a pistol but it wasn't pointed at me.

BANG!

Calm down, Phee, the car is bulletproof, I reminded myself. But not invincible... I needed to get out.

All of a sudden, the sickening stench of burning fuel filled my nostrils. I began coughing as heavy black smoke began to fill the Ferrari. After a glance into the rear view mirror, I noticed the back of the car was on fire. He shot the fuel tank. It was going to explode.

My eyes met wide silver ones as I searched desperately for the door button of the car, as it had no handle. He began to shout something. Finally, I found the damn button.

Choking and spluttering, I thrust open the door and stumbled out.

BOOOOMMMM!!!

The breath was knocked out my chest as my entire body was flung forward. Agony shot through my limbs and my ears rang painfully. Behind me, a fiery yellow ball of flame spurted out of the wreckage of the crimson Ferrari, billowing outwards. Gunshots followed.

Blackness swarmed on the edge of my vision. Mind swirling, breaths shallow, light began to fade. In its wake was an excruciating pain that spread like wildfire across my body. Before I surrendered to the darkness, a set of strong warm hands wrapped around my waist and farewell was a set of silver eyes.

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎