08

~ phoenix ~

I woke up with a long, tan leg draped over my body. And it was freezing in the room.

Beside me lay a blonde... A-a naked blonde.

I almost screamed when my eyes fell upon her exposed breasts. The rest of her body was hidden beneath the sheets and her face was turned away from mine.

I tried to lift my head, but a wave of dizziness had it sinking back into the pillows again. Where the hell was I? And who was she? Why was she naked?

I looked down at myself and sighed in relief to see that I was clothed. Then, I realised over my dress was a long black shirt. Whose was this? At least it was over my dress. Some bastard in this fucking prison must have had some sort of twisted mercy on me and lent me the shirt before I eventually froze to death. Not only was I cold but my skin felt like it was on fire. I was sure the sequins on my blasted dress must've caused an insane red rash on my body. I've been in it for what felt like years. Having passed out so many times, I had no accurate sense of time. How long had it been since I was kidnapped?

I tried once more to pick myself up and this time, I fought the blast of pain that briefly paralysed my limbs. With an agonised grimace, I carefully lifted the leg off me and swung my aching legs over the side. There were small plasters all over my body. I raised a hand to my head and found it wrapped in a large bandage. What the fuck happened to me?

All I remembered was escaping. Those men. The gunshots. The explosion...

My eyes widened. I should be dead.

So why did that silver-eyed devil save me? So he could torture me some more? I was sick of this. I wanted to cry.

"Stop moving! I'm trying to sleep," a thick voice complained behind me. It was heavily accented. She was like the others.

I turned to the blonde with a glare. "I don't give a shit. Where am I?"

A few frustrating moments later, she turned to face me. And damn, was she stunning. She had smooth, flawless skin and delicate features. Her eyes were staggering. A warm russet, that seemed amber in the flooding sunlight from the windows. "Stop bitching," she snapped, "I'm not the happiest either about this arrangement."

"Arrangement?" I scoffed, "I was kidnapped. And why the hell are you naked?"

"That's how I like to sleep. Get used to it."

What? Why would I get used to it? "How do I leave?"

The blonde stranger chuckled sardonically. "Oh darling, ты в беде. You can't even dream about leaving unless he allows you." [you're in trouble]

I ignored what she said in the foreign language that everyone seemed to know except me. Instead, I focused on the he she was referring to. "Who?"

"Oh Ilya, darling." She looked at my expression. "The Don? The guy who got you here...? He's got dark hair... grey eyes...? Are you serious?"

I knew exactly who she was talking about now. The monster.

"So you do know him?

I nodded silently, sending murderous thoughts in his direction. God, the things I wanted to do to him.

"девушка, do you have a name? I keep calling you the American dumbhead in my mind and it's getting annoying." [girl]

I shot her a glare in her direction at the blunt insult, before deciding that it couldn't hurt to let her know since Ilya already stole that knowledge from me. "Phoenix."

"Pretty name, Phoenix. I am Katarina, it isn't a pleasure to meet you since I have to share my home with you. But I'm sure you're a nice girl."

Like I wanted to share with her. "Bitch," I muttered under my breath.

Her head shot up. "сука." [bitch]

What did she say to me? "Hoe."

"мотыга," she spat. [hoe]

Excuse me? "Whore!"

"шлюха!" [whore]

Wait... was she mimicking me? All of a sudden, the hilarity of the situation and the shitty circumstances caused a bubble of laughter to spurt out of my mouth. And I couldn't stop it. I bent over and giggled uncontrollably into my stomach until I couldn't breathe.

I felt her stare at me. She most definitely thought I was crazy. Hell, I thought I was crazy.

Unexpectedly, she joined in. Her loud, shameless cackles filled the room, stoking my own. Now, we were rolling across the bed, holding our stomachs. What the hell were we laughing about? I didn't know. Why was I laughing? I didn't know. There were a lot of things I didn't know lately. I wasn't awfully fond of it.

Eventually, I found myself breathing again and we quietened down.

Katarina turned to face me, her golden hair cascading down her chest. "I don't think you are that awful anymore, Phoenix," she grinned.

Gosh, why the hell was I fighting a smile? "Ditto, Katarina."

Her face fell and she shot daggers at me. What the hell did I do now?

"You know I was being nice, девушка. I don't understand why you insist on being so rude," she huffed defensively. [girl]

"Wait, what? Ditto means I agree with you, you hoe!" I argued in amusement.

"Oh." Her glare disappeared. "Ditto," she repeated, testing it on her tongue, although the way she said it sounded like deeto.

"What does suka mean?" I asked. Both Aleksey and Ilya were fond of calling me that. I had no doubt it was an insult.

"Bitch," she informed me.

Oh, those motherfuckers.

She read my expression. "Let me guess-"

"Ilya," we chorused, with frustration.

At that moment, the door slammed open. In the threshold stood the fuming silver eyed devil. He looked accusingly between the two of us.

"What?" he demanded.

Neither of us answered.

Something- or rather, someone behind him caught my eye. It was a short brunette. She was clad in a long white medical coat, but she looked rather young to be a doctor.

"Hello, Katarina. Hello, Phoenix," she greeted, politely.

Wait, how did she know my name?

I looked at her blankly and silently. I had no reason to be nice to strangers in this prison.

"I'm your doctor," she added.

I could've guessed that.

Ilya intervened, looking sceptically between the two of us. God, what crawled up his ass and died?

"Phoenix, you will listen to the Milena. Katarina, you will stay out of their way, you understand?" he barked.

"Sure," I retorted sarcastically, whereas Katarina simply looked down and inspected her nails, still mostly naked might I add.

"суки," Ilya scoffed, with frustration. [bitches]

Despite the jolt of fury that coursed through my veins, I grinned and looked at the smirking blonde beside me.

"DITTO!"

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎