Chapter 16

Trigger warning
Gumballs POV
"One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.."
Counting. It's calming. Whenever I was angry or upset as a child my mother would tell me to lay down and close my eyes then count to ten.
"Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine-"
A knock at my bedroom door was not something I would expect at this hour. Most of the candy citizens should be asleep,
"gumball! It's an emergency!" Peppermint maid has my attention now. I can hear her panicked voice, groggy like she had just woken up but still fully aware.
"What is it? peppermint maid?" I reply.
"It's, marshall. He's at the bridge of ooo and.."
My heart sinks down to my chest. I feel even more worse when I realize I'm not surprised.
"Marshall? He couldn't have tried to.."
"I'm sorry. He.. He did."
The word 'suicide' feels like a foreign word to me. The word feels dangerous.
I open the door and run down to the bridge, ignoring the thought of Fionna and marshall. There's no time. This really is a life or death situation. But it's probably too late.

When I arrive at the bridge, my heart stops. There's chaos everywhere ; candy police cars and the fire department, ambulances. Everything. A candy police man stands at the edge of the bridge yelling "sir, it's not worth it! You don't need to do this!"
So Marshall must still be alive. Just not in my sight.

I run over to the bridge. My heart stops when I see Marshall. He's frozen, floating in the air. He must have jumped but stooped himself, only a few feet below the bridge. "Marshall!" I shout. He looks up at me with bloodshot eyes, the tears soaking his Cheeks.

"Marshall! Marshall I love you! I shouldn't have left.. I should've worked things out!" I cry out

"I don't deserve you gumball. I.. I don't know what happened with Fionna. I should've pushed her off when I didn't. I knew we had something special. I knew I had kissed you and we had something and I confessed my love to you but I kissed her back anyways! I don't deserve you! And you don't deserve to have such a horrible boyfriend as I would be." Marshall lets out. He begins to sob.

"Marshall everyone makes mistakes," I say." No one-"

"Not like that!" Marshall interrupts. "That was worse. That- that was not just a mistake. That was cruel. I love you.

"Please come back up. Marshall I love you. I forgive you. It's okay. It's gonna be okay."

"No it won't! No matter what flame prince won't stop. Fionna won't stop. Cake won't stop. The candy people won't stop. They never stop."

"Marshall-"

"It doesn't get better! That's what everyone says! I'm done. I don't want to live anymore. I can end it. Right here. Right now. And it can't get worse."

"Please. Don't."

Marshall stops talking. I don't even notice the tears streaming down my face.

Then, he falls.
----------------------------------------------
So wow. That was hard to write. Authors get feels to you know. I only have like maybe one or two chapters left.