Chapter 17

"Marshall no!" I scream at the top of my lungs. I hear the gasps and the cries coming from behind me.

"Marshall! No! No no no no no!" I cry out. I collapse on the ground, crying. "No! No!" This isn't happening. It's just a nightmare. This isn't real. This isn't real. This isn't real.

The others that once surrounded me are now crying, or looking down Over the edge of this stupid bridge. The candy people really do care, don't they?
~
The police begin the search for the body a few hours later. And I haven't moved. The bridge is still blocked off. I'm now the only one on this bridge.

Marshall. He's gone. He's dead.

I'm still in shock. I can't move. I won't move. Then I hear someone walking behind me.

"Gumball?" The voice says.

I look up. It's a candy police officers.

"It's about 3 AM. We're going to open the gates now. I think it might be time to go home and relax." He says, in he nicest way possible. But I don't budge.

"Okay. But first, Let me tell you a story." He says, which gets my attention although I don't let it show.

"When I was about your age, I met this girl. She was.. She was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me, quite honestly. I loved her. I really did. We did everything together. But then she changed. She started getting, well, depressed. Her father had just passed away. Of course we were both out if the house by now, but her mother had been missing for a very long time. And now that her dad was gone, she couldn't take it. It seemed like things kept getting worse from that point. I won't tell everything because it was her business, but then she started taking really bad drugs. She was addicted. And she wouldn't stop. She stopped talking to me. And no matter what I said she would ignore me.She ignored all my calls. And then one day, she killed herself. In her own home. I missed her so I went to her house and I saw the blood and then.. The body."

I finally look up. The policeman is looking straight ahead. He turns toward me and looks me straight in the eye.

" I loved her. I.." He trails off. "And I haven't quite been the same ever since."

"I..I'm sorry." I say quietly.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry about Marshall."he says carefully. "Now let me drive you home.

~

The next day, I wake up late to peppermint maid knocking on my door.

"Gumball. Your breakfast is ready."

I get up and go eat my breakfast. Peppermint maid has laid out the candy kingdom paper. The front page is something about politics in the breakfast kingdom, but the second page wasn't something I was expecting. An article about Marshall.

I don't dare to even read the article. But before I close it, I see one sentence.

"Marshall lee abadeers body was found at 6:29 am this morning."

My heart stops. My Marshalls body was found at 6:29 am this morning. I can feel myself about to cry. I guess vampires aren't always immortal.