Chapter 10

The next day was spent taking turns sneaking out between turnover times to gather as many supplies as would fit into their overalls. 009 was having a hard time believing 004 was going along with their plan, but seeing the markings where the mask would go if she didn't seemed to help. She returned from her supply run looking pale and sick, and when asked what was wrong, she could only say, "my face."
009 sighed as she looked at her warped reflection in a spoon.
"Tell me about it."
She supposed it couldn't be long now. She looked over her collection-tools, matches, a steak knife just in case; the others had similar things, with dry biscuits and preserved meats added to the mix.
"Turnover time's over," she noticed. "It's my turn again. I'm going to get some last things... and I'm going to get rid of our friend before he starts to smell."
004 looked away as 009 hoisted up the dead guard. Pressing her ear to the door, she listened for movement outside. There was none. 009 was learning she could pick up things her friends couldn't— whatever alterations they had made to her body had enhanced her senses, probably so her calculation index could pick up the subtle changes and malfunctions that could happen on an airship.
She climbed stairs to the upper catwalks, and headed as far forward towards the bow as she could, finally coming to an inconspicuous broom closet. She hoisted her dead charge up to look him in the face.
"I'm really sorry about all this. I mean it."
Then she folded him up and shoved him in, covering him with rags. They were dusty— good. Hopefully nobody would get a nasty surprise tomorrow before she could get back to him. Job done, she headed back.
Slipping along the catwalk alone, 009 was reminded of her escapade 8 years ago. What secrets was Captain 11 hiding, still, after all this time? What was it about Sect 12 that had to do with 009?
Maybe it was time she finally got her books back.
They would probably sell for something on the ground, and once they were on the run, they'd need things to trade. She'd seen it happen at the docks. So, 8 years later, 18 year old 009 retraced her steps.
There were a few patrolling guardsmen since the escape pod incident; no matter. 009's index told her exactly where they were.
"Thank you, 003".
All was quiet out the front of the Captain's quarters. A little tinkering with 003's tools, and she would be in.
It was the same as it had been during her first visit— offensively sterile. Only the desk showed signs of human activity. 009 looked over the papers strewn about.
There was her picture, sans mask. Over it was stamped 'PUNISHED', which was since crossed out and replaced with 'ANNIHILATED '. Same with 003's, 004's missing "annihilated". 009 was pleased. At least they'd made the Captain do some paperwork.
The locker was what she'd come for. There had to be something useful in there.
Inserting a small makeshift pick, she listened for a telltale click. It didn't come easily. Outside, 009 heard footsteps, and she froze.
When they died away, she continued, nervous now. Maybe this had been a bad idea...
Click.
Nope. Good idea.
The first level had enough coins for her to take a few without running the risk of the Captain noticing straight away. The second...
009 tenderly brushed what was possibly 8 years worth of dust off the spine of a tattered book reading The Complete Works of Poe. As she removed it and tucked it into her overalls, she was afraid it would fall apart. As she replaced both the doors of the safe and the quarters, she couldn't help whispering to herself: "Mine!"
When she returned, her friends were all awe at her finds.
"So shiny," 003 cooed over the coins. "What are they?"
"It's money," 004 returned. "It could be worth a lot on the ground."
"Well, that third is yours," 009 said, pushing some coins in 004's direction. "For not letting me be melted down into scrap."
004 gave 009 a very rare smile at that.

The next day saw 009 cramped into the broom closet with a corpse after saying her good lucks to her friends.
"Whatever you're going to do," 004 had said, "make sure it's the exact second we dock."
The exact second it would be.
"All crew members, prepare for docking."
At the announcement, 009 looked at the corpse.
"Nearly your time to shine."
She listened for the hubbub of the crew rushing to their stations to die down. The metal inside the closet was dusty, but if she rubbed it aside, she could see her face beside the corpse's.
"Man, you're starting to look like me."
The crew outside went quiet, and 009 felt a pain in her ears as the airship lost altitude. She hoped that 003 and 004 were beginning to make their move.
"Because, my dead friend," she muttered, hoisting him up, "it's now or never."