Chapter 12

004's legs wouldn't hold her up any longer.
"003," she gasped, "it's getting late. We have to find somewhere to rest."
They paused, lost. The sheer amount of people made 004's head spin.
"There are people dressed like us going into that building over there," 003 noticed. "Maybe we should too?"
According to the signage, the building was called a 'tavern'. It seemed like as good a course of action as any. At the very least, they would blend in.
The other beige clad workers seemed to take turns congregating around a desk where someone was handing out drinks in exchange for coin. Not wanting to draw attention by doing anything different, 004 and 003 did the same.
"What can I do for you," the minister-in-charge of drinks asked them. "Drinks? Food? Put you up for a couple nights?"
004 looked back at them, bewildered.
"Put us up where?"
The drinks, food and putting-up minister raised an eyebrow and pointed to the ceiling.
"We've vacant beds up yonder, if you're needing a place to stay. Long day, was it?"
They chuckled.
004 laughed with them nervously. "Yes, very long. Beds sound good."
"Very good. Only one sheckle a night per head for workers like yourself. Doing the King's good work and all."
004's mind raced. 004 and 003 had two heads between them. Praying the gold coins were sheckles, she handed two over.
"Hee! Hee! Truly was a long day. Sheckles, miss. You have that sovereign back, I'll get you your change."
They returned with 8 silver coins, and 004 thanked them for their patience. It had been a very long day.
"Thanking you. You're in room 16, and here are your keys."
"Look at you go," 003 cheered as they began the search for room 16. "Doing business like the grounds folk... almost."
Room 16 turned out to be like a mini version of the crew quarters, only the beds were larger. 004 supposed it made sense when there were only two. As she carefully locked the door, 003 sat down on a bed and disappeared into it's cover.
"Argh! It's a trap!"
004 rushed to their aid, helping them up from the foam of the mattress. When they were free, they inspected the bed carefully together. A small seam had come loose, revealing tufty white fluff. 004 pulled a little out between their fingers, and jumped back with a squeal.
"It's full of birds!"
003 inserted a finger into the split with great trepidation, pulling out more fluff.
"Just feathers... I hope."
Neither of them had seen feathers without their birds unless one had gotten caught in one of the airship's propellers. How many birds had to die to make this mattress?
Both were too tired to guess. Once they established the mattresses were just absurdly squishy and not in fact traps, they collapsed onto them gratefully.
"So," 003 murmured, their voice muffled by the bed cover. "This is Terrestria."
004 sighed and closed her eyes, unsure of how she would ever be able to get any rest without the constant sway of the airship. She hoped they would manage it; it would be unwise for them to stay in any one place for too long.

004 woke up before it was light. She'd had a restless enough night to know that the events of the day before hadn't just been some wild nightmare, and it was time for them to get moving again.
003 was already up, looking out the window.
"004," they called. "Come look at this."
004 did as she was bidden. There were a few people on the street, opening shop fronts and arranging the goods within them.
"What on earth are they wearing?"
All of the shop keepers seemed to be in black with white cuffs, some in neatly fitted blazers and some with extravagant skirts with absurd bustles. They had watched on chains that tinkled, and laced boots which clacked, and their clothes rustled, and some even wore hats, for goodness sake. As if there were any sun for them to block.
"What a noisy way to get around," 004 observed.
They watched a little longer, and saw two workers step out into the dawn.
"Look, it's the workers we bribed."
They sauntered along the street toward an individual holding a case sporting a heavy padlock. They produced the coins the fugitives had given them, which prompted the case-holder to open the padlock. As they perused the contents, something appeared over the horizon.
"Sweet King's mercy, what the hell is that?" 004 breathed.
The thing towered over the buildings, moving on long, thin legs. As it got closer, it looked like a stretched, rusted skeleton, with wires and banners hanging off it like rotted flesh. It's head was composed of a single, blinding spotlight, allowing the spectators to see the King's crest stamped on the banners in a dull shade of bronze.
As it approached, some of the shop keepers noticed, and hurried indoors. The workers, however, were too busy inspecting the contents of the case to be bothered, until the thing's spotlight fell on them, causing them to scatter.
It was upon them in an instant. An artificial voice not unlike 009's began to whine.
"you are under arrest for exchange of illicit goods. Do not resist. You are under arrest..."
It spat out mesh nets from somewhere under its spotlight, entrapping it's targets in a sticky mass. As they struggled, 004 noticed they began to bleed.
"The mesh must be sharp," 003 said, reading her thoughts. "The more they struggle, the more it cuts into them."
The thing picked up the writhing bundle and was gone as soon as it came.
By the time the shopkeepers re-emerged, the sun was burning away the morning mist.
"We have to keep moving," 004 murmured, not taking her eyes off the place where the thing had disappeared. "They knew we were air people when they saw us. They're bound to say who gave them the coins."
As 003 nodded, 004 briefly hoped that if 009 was tailing them, she was keeping inconspicuous.