Chapter 14

003 was buying bread when they felt a hand on their shoulder.
"004? What have you got there?"
"Neutral clothes," she answered as they left the bakery. "If we're dressed as workers, people are going to start wondering why we aren't working in the middle of the day."
003 inspected them when they were back in their room. It wasn't as comfortable as the first tavern they'd found, but their coin was going to start running low soon. The clothes were deep brown and leathery, and felt strange under 003's fingers. "Two-piece overalls?"
"The shopkeeper said the bottom part are called trousers, and the top a jacket. The white thing's a shirt. I got it thrown in for free because I traded in the worker outfit."
003 pulled the garments on. The shirt ballooned under their utility belt, but apart from that, everything fit well enough.
"I guess I'll find somewhere to sell my overalls then. We'll be needing more coin."
They bid farewell to tavern number 2 and kept heading north. There were people and buildings as far as 003 could see.
"How far north can we go until we just drop off the face of Terrestria?"
As they walked, they heard somebody set up a wail. The pair froze, looking in the direction of the cry.
"Sir Dixon has died! Venerable member of His Majesty's Court, taken by vampires!"
A crowd had gathered around the newsreader, where his announcement had caused an outcry.
"King have mercy! First those giant skeleton things, now there's vampires in this filthy city?"
003 frowned at 004's outburst. "It's not that filthy..."
003 was beginning to find that they didn't mind having solid ground under their feet, but they were worried about 004. Her opinion of the ground was becoming clearer every day, and 003 was wondering if they would learn to cope with their new lives. She clearly wasn't sleeping, with the areas under her eyes darkening more every day, and she spent most of the nights looking at the sky, watching the airships come and go. Hearing about deaths wrought by ground-dwelling monsters probably wasn't helping, so 003 cast around for a distraction.
"Why do you think so many people have their eyes painted black today?"
They had passed a good number of people with dark rings painted around their eyes, but they hadn't felt the need to comment before. Ground people did strange things.
"I don't know, but I'm beginning to think we should find out. The further we walk, the more I'm seeing. People are going to start wondering why we don't."
Only a few paces more was enough to prove 004 right. As they entered a bustling square, an accusatory shriek was hurled at them.
"Heretics! Shame! Don't allow the heathens to pass into the square!"
Hundreds of blacked out eyes turned on the pair, all sending up their own condemnations into the air.
"For shame, it's midday! Everyone should have been marked by now."
"Heretics? But Sect 4 is respectable!"
"Where are the Gaze?"
This question was answered all too promptly as two stringy, mechanical skeletons materialised either side of 003 and 004.
"You are under arrest for heresy. Do not resist."
003 jerked to bolt when they noticed 004 was frozen stock still.
"004," they whispered, tugging at her arm, "I think we should most definitely resist!"
The two shot further into the square, dodging people who seemed so repulsed by them that they obligingly moved out of their way. Two more monstrous robots appeared from behind the buildings on the opposite side of the square, blocking their escape.
"Oh no, oh no—"
003 threw themselves into 004, sending them both careening behind a market stall to avoid a metal net. It sold spherical charms painted to look like slate grey eyeballs, sheltering bags of stock beneath its shopfront.
"I think we're going to have to fight our way out of here," 003 said grimly.
"How exactly?" 004 snapped back, her voice sent up a few octaves by the idea of going head to head with the four units of nightmare fuel. In the place of a reply, 003 thrust a bag of balls at her and darted toward the nearest Gazer. When the way was clear, 003 released the balls rolling in it's direction, cheering when they disappeared under it's feet. The Gazer slid forward and came crashing down as 003 fled. As they did, a matching crunch told them that 004 had understood. But before 003 reached a new bag, a deep, throaty growl echoed through the square.
"Enough!"
The chaos immediately froze. An old man in white garb with a silver eyeball emblazoned on the front had appeared.
"The Order has sanctified this ground in the name of His Majesty," he roared, "I order you, Gazers, to stand down! His Majesty's Gaze resides in the very air here. There is no need for you." He turned to the bewildered pair.
"Why have you not come to me for the Marking until now?"
"We... got lost. On the way," 003 stammered, hoping it was possible. They really weren't entirely sure how you got this mark at all.
"Lost?" The man cried, "it is the mark of a fool, not a heretic! Do not fear me, wretches. You will come inside the temple and receive your mark. You will assist me for the day as penance, and then you may go," then, to the rest of the crowd, "witness the glory of the mercy of His Majesty and His Order!"
Behind the now kneeling public, 003 saw the Gaze guarding the four exits to the square. Guessing leaving wasn't an option, they followed the strange old ground person.

The temple was an austere, shining building clad in metal sheets stamped with ostentatious depictions of warriors and kings. Inside, the old priest ordered the pair to "kneel, and submit your eyes to His Majesty's superior gaze." Apparently, that meant 'close your eyes while I smear them with ashy stuff.'
Then, they were set to work stamping packages for postage.
"These contain the Tome of His Majesty's Order. They will be sent to the Sect's most needy, bringing them warmth and comfort from the King."
003 wondered whether poor people would be better off with food for their bellies rather than a book, but 004 had already set to work and was giving them a warning glance.
Later, the priest returned with water and bread for them both.
"It's not every day I see two people capable of taking down the Gaze," he said in a casual tone, catching them both off guard after his usual booming voice. He turned his eyes to 003, who was wolfing down their food.
"Sanks for dis, it means a wot," they murmured around the mouthful.
"I noticed you seemed hungry. I don't think you are from around here. But, the Order is never interested in the past. Only the future."
003 inwardly sighed with relief. They had a feeling 004 was doing the same.
"If you need a place to stay the night, you are welcome here. You will always be fed and housed for the good work you do here, for as long as you choose to do it. I will return for the rest of the packages," he finished, taking the ones they had already stamped.
004 turned to 003, eyes alight.
"We can stay here!" She cried. She seemed happier than 003 had seen her for a long time, and they couldn't find it in themselves to express the uneasiness they felt inside the temple. 
"It sounds pretty good... what with the food and bed and stuff. But what if... you know... they catch up with us?"
"The Order seems to be the only authority here, and you heard. They're not interested in our past. Maybe we can start fresh here. Besides, we're helping the poor. It seems like a good idea."
003 nodded slightly.
"Okay. If you think it's a good idea."
It was clear enough that 004 did.