Chapter 23

The cells on the south side of the prison were all open, and once again, 009 was snooping where she oughtn't be for a book. The screams had stopped, and as 009 rifled around under the idly glowing florescent lights, everything took on a dreamlike quality for the cyborg. Her hands, blurring before her eyes, went from long and metallic to small and fleshy, and back again. She thought she could smell disinfectant. The Captain's face swam before her eyes, followed by multiple surgical instruments, and she thought her heart would burst.
No. Not now. We're so close now.
The book was right there, on the desk. Trying to ride through the panic rising in her throat and the images ceaselessly taunting her, she grabbed the ledger when a siren screeched. She'd taken too long.
She headed for the door but was stopped by a guard. Backing up, 009 realised this might be the end of the line for her. The guards had woken up, the siren was calling, and backup would be on the way.
The guard raised a meaty fist and planted it in her face, sending a shudder through her body. She stumbled, but didn't fall, and raised a hand to her face, realising that there was a mask there, slightly dented.
The guard's knuckles were more misshapen.
009 stared as outraged caterwauls went up from somewhere in the prison, and as 009's tired brain mixed up her past and present, she laughed out loud. The prisoners were rallying.
009 raised her own fist and hit the guard as hard as she could, and he went flying.
As 009 prepared to get herself out of this pit or die trying, a strange last thought popped into her head— a fervent wish to see Tesla again.