Chapter 24

009 sat still while 003, ever the trusty mechanic, reattached her arm.
"There! Fixed you again."
"Thanks. How's Faith?"
"Quiet. Maybe you should come visit her."
009 did for a short time. Faith had lost a lot of blood and needed pain killing medicine to make life bearable. 003 and 009 were constantly on missions to swipe some for her. Still, the relief of being out of prison wasn't lost to her, and 009 had to admire her ability to smile through the pain when 003 walked in. 003 had that effect on people, but when Faith saw 003, she invariably tried to sit up, and they always had to coax her to lie back down before gently planting a soft kiss on her forehead. This time the gesture didn't make 009 think of 003 themselves.
After visiting Faith, they headed to Tesla's pipe and sent a few knocks echoing into the chamber.
"You home?"
"For you, yes."
009 clambered into the dim room, helped by her friend.
"It's so nice to have some time to relax," Tesla sighed.
"What do you mean relax?" 009 asked, sitting up. "We've got a King to dethrone. Look, I've brought us some work to do."
She produced the ledger from the prison, and Tesla rolled her eyes and threw herself theatrically backwards onto the mattress.
009 smiled and opened the book. It was full of files, similar to the ones she had found in the Captain's quarters when she was a child. Photos, names, place of origin.  Flicking through, her eyes snagged on a familiar face, and she tensed.
"009? Are you okay?"
No answer.
"009?"
009 looked back, eyes glistening.
"My name is Orla."