5

☁️

Friday came around and Romeo had managed to get through his first entire week without his parents' money. Of course he had some money saved up, in case of an emergency. And so far there were no immediate emergencies. But with the end of the week came the time to restock. And as fate would have it, it was Romeo's turn for groceries. Which meant a trip to the store; and that meant gas.

Romeo at least had the money for that. He wasn't drowning in debt quite yet. That, he was positive.

He didn't want to count how much money he had to his name. Not while he was engaged in his latest painting. He decided he would worry about his money later. His homework was finished and he was off from work. He had just enough time to sit with his painting he loved so dearly and he didn't want his money troubles to burden him.

He splashed more green onto the painted trees before working on the sunset's rays, dipping his brush into the orange on his palette. He sat out on the small apartment terrace, overlooking the pool. He didn't bother to wave back to the girls waving up to him and calling his name. As far as he knew, they weren't there.

It was just him and his painting.

"Romeo!"

He heard Camila call from inside and he stuck his head through the sliding door.

"Outside!"

There was some shuffling and a moment later Camila walked up to the door. She leaned against it, a concerned smile on her face.

"I was calling you for ten minutes."

Romeo rubbed his nose with the back of his hand and sat back to better face his sister. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Sorry...Guess...I was really out of it?"

Camila laughed and shook her head. "How are you?"

"I'm surviving," Romeo laughed. He gestured to his painting with the tip of his brush. "What do you think?"

Camila looked carefully at the picture; one of a man standing on the edge of a wall, overlooking a vast forest. His cloak was a deep green, contrasting the way the painted sun's oranges and reds covered the background.

"Hm."

"Hm?" Romeo hummed back.

"I feel like the chibi in the picture needs something," she said. "Maybe something on his coat? Or something in his hands?"

"I was thinking that, too," Romeo said, stretching. His back popped and cracked; after being in the same position for the last few hours that was expected. "Not sure what. I'll ask Rio when he gets back though. Other than that, you like it?"

"I love it. It's gorgeous! We should hang it up."

"Ew, no," Romeo laughed. "After a week it'll look ugly to me."

"Then why are you going to enter it into that art show contest?"

"Validation that I'm not a shitty painter," Romeo bitterly replied. Camila ruffled his hair. "And I'm not even sure if I'll get to do it. My professor hasn't gotten back to me, yet."

"You're too hard on yourself," she said, walking back inside. Romeo sighed, picking up his brush to flick more color into the sun's rays.

It was more than confirmation he wasn't a shitty painter. Romeo didn't want to miss an opportunity to prove he wasn't such a disappointment. To his father. To himself...

"Hey, by the way," Camila called, "Thomas wanted to know if you would be interested in going out for drinks later. He's going with Chris, Nolan, Jacob and Scott. It's all guys."

"That doesn't sound too bad," Romeo said. "Ahh....you know...I better not. I have to get groceries this week."

"Go on and go," Camila said as she came close again. "I got paid today so I can get groceries this week. And I know you get paid next week so it'll work out fine. Plus you deserve it. You've been so stressed out this week. I can tell because you've been eating plain cottage cheese, right out of the tub, again. Go and have some fun."

"Shit, Camila, you're never like this," Romeo said in disbelief. "You're usually on me to stay home and study."

She smiled faintly again. "Yeah but...I know this week has been especially rough. You need some time away. But you have to come home. I'm telling Chris to keep an eye on you."

Romeo stuck his tongue out. "Yeah, whatever."

"I'm serious, Ro! Be a little cautious while you're out. And don't get too drunk either."

"Sure thing, mom."

Camila thumped him on the head and walked back inside, sliding the glass door closed.

☁️

Lame ass chap 💀