18

☁️

"Tell me more about the art show," Aron said firmly. "How did it go? I would have talked to you more but I felt like it would have been inappropriate with your mother and Camila there."

"They're not the ones I'm worried about," Romeo sighed. Aron raised an eyebrow, a silent gesture for Romeo to continue. Romeo sat down his glass of wine and swallowed. "Mom wouldn't care who I talked to. Camila would get over it. My dad probably would have lost his shit. Probably? No, he would have, no doubt. Not to your face. But I would have gotten a fucking earful of it the moment there weren't a lot of people around."

It would be high school all over again. Brutal thoughts came flooding back and Romeo took a long drink of wine.

Aron folded his arms on the table and leaned forward, his eyes fixed directly on Romeo. "Mind if I pry?"

"I guess not..."

"The man with the glasses and long hair at the art show, he was your father, am I correct?"

Romeo nodded and sank back. Jacob came up to the table, salads in hand. He sat them down, asked if they needed anything else and returned to his waiting duties. Aron remained silent until Jacob was out of earshot before continuing.

"Why was he in such a pissy mood? He came in, took one look at you and he got this expression of "fuck you" and left."

"That's...my dad in a fucking nutshell," Romeo said with a bitter smile. He picked up his fork to poke around his salad. "He doesn't think my art is anything to live on. That it's just...a hobby, not a real profession."

"Is he a dentist?"

"He's a doctor at the hospital."

Aron groaned and made a face that told Romeo all he needed to know.

"But...in better news I sold a picture at the art show. He still doesn't know yet. I'm just going to shove the money in his face," Romeo laughed with false hope. Aron's eyes lit up.

"You sold a picture? One of your paintings?" he asked. Romeo nodded.

"I did. I'm really excited. Sort of bummed that I have to give away the painting though. It was my favorite."

"Do you have a picture of it? Like a snapshot? I tried to find your name but I didn't see it anywhere."

Romeo reached into his back pocket and retrieved his phone. Aron remained quiet as he flipped through picture after picture until he came to the one of his painting. Romeo held out the phone for Aron.

The man quietly examined the picture, his dark eyes zoned in.

"I uh...finished this after I met you. But before we became anything serious. I didn't think I'd ever see you again so I sort of used...you as inspiration...," Romeo said. "Sorry if that's creeper-y."

Aron shook his head, setting the phone down. "It's ironic, really. But the painting is fantastic. It's a true masterpiece."

"You're being nice. You don't have to. I'll fuck you just for buying dinner."

"I mean it. Romeo...that picture—"

"Alright, let's see. The shrimp and lobster primavera, for you," Jacob said, cutting in as he set Aron's plate in front of him. His timing was becoming impeccable."And the steak gorgonzola for Romeo."

"Thanks," Romeo said.

"Can I get you two anything else?"

Aron looked to Romeo, who silently shook his head, and back to Jacob. "Nothing at the moment. Thank you."