11

☁️

As much as Romeo wanted to believe he would move out of his drawing dry spell, he only felt himself feeling worse about it. Everything he drew, in his eyes, was trash. Despite Rio's compliments, despite Camila's reassurance—nothing he drew felt right.

He put away his sketchpad in favor of his paints.

Watercolors, acrylics and oils. He experimented with everything he had until he found himself with a pencil in his hand again.

And then there was the weather. Any given day, Romeo would truly appreciate the rain and dreary sky. But combined with his mood and lack of inspiration, it made him sick. It upset him and left him feeling awful. He didn't want to do anything with his art.

He was alone in the apartment and he was starting to hate the silence. Because when it was that silent he had only his thoughts and his art.

And he currently didn't have his art.

Romeo left and drove to the closest bookstore. It was something to do. Somewhere to go. And the bookstore was always calming. He wasn't much of a reader but he could still appreciate the books on photography and landscapes.

He parked his car and walked the few remaining blocks (parking was always hell) and ran into the bookstore. He walked straight to the little café. He ordered a mocha, to warm up his hands, and made his way to the photography section.

He picked out a large book, filled with candid photos from Colombia, and sat down on the floor, flipping through it. He sipped his hot mocha, occasionally blowing through the lid and creating a little whistling noise.

He sighed softly, looking over the tall buildings and architecture the book had. It was all fond memories and nostalgia. For his senior graduation gift, his mother took him on a trip to the country and he yearned to go back. It was her home country and he knew she wanted to return as much as he did.

"Hey, Lopez, what are you up to?"

Romeo looked up and saw Nolan's grinning face at the end of the aisle. Romeo shrugged and the smug expression Nolan wore faded. He walked over and sat down as Romeo looked back at the book.

"Hey, Nolan."

"Everything alright?"

Romeo shrugged again.

"Bad art week?"

"Yeah," Romeo sighed. "I don't know what's wrong. Just haven't been feeling it lately."

"Have you tried painting instead? What about the stuff...uh...charcoal?"

"I can try charcoal for a while. Maybe I should paint vases?"

"Get a camera," Nolan said, leaning in close to look at the book. "Maybe you could take pictures for a while."

As if buying a camera was even in Romeo's budget at the moment.

"Wouldn't hurt," Romeo lied. "Is Jacob with you?"

"No."

Romeo swallowed hard and turned to look at Nolan, brushing his nose against his friend's lips. Nolan pulled away.

"We don't kiss."

Romeo half smiled and laughed bitterly. "I know that. I'm not fucking stupid."

"We probably shouldn't. You're all depressed."

"It takes my mind off being depressed," Romeo said, slamming the book closed and putting it back on the shelf. "It's not like you should complain. You just sit and get your dick sucked. There's literally no work in it for you."