6

☁️

Rio had to stay later at the hospital than he had planned. He told Romeo to go on ahead and meet up with the other guys at the bar. There was no need for both of them to miss out and drinking was never Rio's favorite pastime.

The Ace was a bar not too far away from the college campus. It was lined up with every other bar meant to draw out college students on the weekends. There were a few scattered restaurants, a hookah bar, and several convenience stores smashed onto the same strip. All within walking distance.

Parking was hell but Romeo managed to find a decent spot a few bars down. He followed the red rose design of the Ace bar sign and pulled on the doors.

The bar had become the chosen favorite among Romeo and his friends. The drinks were fair priced and the music was always enjoyable.

Romeo sank down with his group and Thomas slapped him on the shoulder.

"Fuck, Thomas, I think you broke my arm," Romeo laughed as Thomas shook him around.

"I'm excited you're finally here," Thomas boomed. "Now we can officially have a drink!"

"You could have started without me," Romeo said. He rubbed his shoulder, still feeling the imprint of Thomas' massive hand.

"Hey! You know it's the group rule. No drinking until everyone is here," Thomas said, pointing a firm finger in Romeo's face.

"What about Rio?" Chris asked. Romeo shook his head.

"He can't come," he explained. "He has to stay late at the hospital tonight."

"Aww damn," Scott groaned. "Now we have to depend on Jacob for supervision!"

Romeo looked up to see Jacob blushing rather bright at Scott's statement. He smiled nervously, rubbing the back of his neck, as Nolan slipped a hand around his waist. Romeo swallowed with difficulty, laughing along with everyone else, ignoring the sudden tightness in his chest. He avoided Nolan's gaze as best as he could, but when he did catch his eyes, guilt filled Romeo's stomach. And he wondered if Nolan felt the same unrelenting guilt.

Judging by the bold confidence on his face, Nolan wasn't feeling an ounce of anything other than pride.

"Please don't depend on me," Jacob said softly. "I'm just as bad as all of you. We should depend on Chris."

"Like hell we're depending on Chris," Thomas said with a wink. Chris went bright red and buried his face into Romeo's shoulder, trying to escape Thomas' wandering hands.

"We'll figure this out as we go," Romeo said, waving a hand to the group. "Let's just get started. This week has been fucking hell."

The suggestion settled well with everyone and after a few minutes, they were all downing their first round of shots. It loosened up Romeo's nerves, just enough. He really didn't want to get drunk. Mainly because he didn't know what he would say or do.

Given any other day, he gladly would have drunk himself unconscious to forget the week. But with Jacob and Nolan so close, he couldn't risk it. He could mutter something he'd regret the next day.

"Ro, you're not drinking much tonight," Scott teased, sipping on his third beer. "Camila gave you a warning?"

"I'm just being cautious," he said, poking at his empty bottle. "I don't want to get so shitfaced I'm sick in the morning."

"That's a first," Nolan laughed. Romeo rolled his eyes. Those were the first direct words Nolan dared to speak to him all evening.

"Go grab another drink, Ro," Thomas said, nudging Romeo's shoulder. "It's weird not having you drink with us. It's the end of the week."