The roots of your love

Wilbur's POV:

It had been a few months since we had gone on that god forsaken beach trip. I continued to live in the lunch club house, I continued to work for them. Over winter (in California, wich really isn't winter) I grew unbelievably close to my new friend group. And, more importantly, I grew closer to Schlatt. I had moved downstairs into his room, we spent most hours of the day together and I simply could not get enough.

As close as we had become, Schlatt was hesitant with relationships. I knew he had a rocky past but sometimes it stung. Knowing that we've practically been dating for three months and we still didn't have a label..... or so much as an 'I love you'. I knew it was unreasonable to push him out of his comfort zone, especially this drastically. And I didn't want to put him under pressure or hurt him,( Schlatt was always much weaker than he let on) but I wanted just a sliver of verification of our relationship.

Right now, I was kneeling in the back garden. Dirt staining my knees, hands and brow. A bag of rose buds lay on the moist ground next to me. A small trowel grasped in my hand creating small crevices for the plant starter. I never had much of a knack for botany but I thought it couldn't hurt to try. It reminded me of my child hood. When my mother would sprinkle fruits and vegetables from her garden into her home made cooking, that is if I hadn't already eaten them all already. Hence the fact that I had just planted a vegetable garden and now moved onto the rose bed. They were to bloom a beautiful whirlwind of yellows and pinks. I looked forward to having a piece of my past at my new home.

A light breeze drifted around me and rusted my hair. I breathed in the sweet air. I paused my work for a moment to take in what was around me. It felt like I never really took a break around here. A proper break, just to do nothing for a while.

The rustle of grass behind me brought me back to the present. I looked behind me to see the silhouette of Schlatt. She sun shone from behind him illuminating his outline. I felt myself grin. "Working hard?"

He sat down cross legged in the grass next to me. "I'd like to think so."

A small playful smile tugged at his lips. He turned to face me and handed me one of the glasses he was holding. The glass was cold against the skin of my palm.  And the drink successfully managed to quench my thirst. "Did you make this?" I spoke sarcastically for I knew I brewed this last night. " No, 'twas conjured only from the best chef of the land." I shoved him slightly with my shoulder. He always knew exactly what to say.

"Look, Wilbur, i came to you with a query. I need advice."
"Hmmm. Shoot. What can I help you with?"
Schlatt let out a curt sigh. Leaning over he entangled his fingers with mine squeezing slightly. I squeezed back as he began to speak. "Wil, starting a business is proving to be harder than I expected. I knew there were going to be responsibilities but... this is just, too much. "

I rubbed the back of his palm with my thumb, tracing an invisible circle. "So I want everything to be perfect and I worry that if I don't micro manage everything and everyone it'll all go to hell. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is, Schlatt&Co. is stressing me out so much already, I don't think I can handle anymore, especially not at home. Wilbur, I've fallen deeply in love with one of my employees and I don't want my work or our standings to get in the way of that."

I froze.  I felt a wave of shock ripple through my body, but it didn't take long to morph into a burning anger. "Wilbur, you are everything in the world to me, I could never live without you. I need to know if you love me too."

I couldn't believe it. I knew it was exactly what I wanted to hear but he said it in the worst possible way. Still, a tidal wave of relief surged through me, engulfing my short lived livid ness. He finally said it. He loves me. Schlatt loves me.

Riding the high of a dopamine rush I tackled the boy next to me. My arms latched around his neck in a close embrace. I heard him let out a small "oof" from the surprise attack. We rolled around a bit in the soft spring grass. I nuzzled my face so hard into the chest of his shirt I could hardly breath. I felt my eyes start to glaze over, the tiniest pools gathering in my inner tear ducts. "Oh my- Schlatt I- I just... finally."

When I looked up I expected to see an equally ecstatic boy. But instead, he wore a slight frown. I pondered what could have caused this as my hands  flew to his checks. I held his face fondly, and he only looked away. "Schlatt?"
"I- you never.. Wilbur, do you love me back?" His voice quivered with fear and uncertainty. His distant eyes like oceans of doubt and sorrow. He was expecting the worst.

I felt my goofy grin spring back to my face. I couldn't help it. I was worried that something truly important or devastating had a happened. I felt a faint giggle erupt from somewhere deep inside me. It's funny how people get so worked up over the smallest of misunderstandings.

The Americans' wyebrows only knitted closer together. "Schlatt of course I love you! With my entire heart and soul, nothing... nothing could ever pry you from my arms. Schlatt, I am hopelessly in love with you, and I know I've said that before but with you... with you it's so much more, it's everything."

I felt that pools that were gathering earlier ripple down down my face, I saw Schlatt's face contort into something of pure ecstasy and relief, and I heard the barely audible, distant 'click' of our two worlds combining and falling into place.

In that moment the garden around us glimmered and shone, illuminating everything pure and perfect.

I crashed my lips against Schlatt's, our lips contorting and moving in a soft yet sickeningly passionate kiss. Our faces molded together puzzle pieces and I yearned for the moment to never end.

When we pulled away I heard him speak again, hushed this time, barely even a whisper. "So be it."

—————
End.