1

I woke up with the sun hitting my eyes and my mom telling me to wake up. I opened my eyes as she pushed the sheets down.

   -- Lisa, you need to wake up, or we're going to lose the flight! -- she said.

After some minutes of her trying to get me to wake up, I finally got out of bed and walked towards my bathroom to wash my face and have a shower. When I was done, I got out of the shower and that's when I actually started thinking about everything.

My dad is gone. My best friend, my savior, my listener is gone forever. And my mom's way to move on is to forget about it. Forget the late family dinners, forget the family meetings where we always ended up watching movies or telling jokes. She wants to forget it all.

I left the bathroom, got dressed and got my baggage to take it to the living room. Me and my parents were always a very average family money wise. We are currently living in a very humble house in a very humble neighborhood. I have lived here my whole life, and I never imagined that we would move, I guess I probably did at some point in my life but I always thought it would be the 3 of us.

I went to the kitchen to find my mom cooking breakfast, like always. My dad died 3 weeks ago, I never thought that things would get better after he was gone. But here we are, my mom cooking like always, on a morning like any other.

   -- Are you ready to go? -- she finished what she was cooking and put it on the table.

   -- Yes, mom.

We haven't talked a lot since my father died. We cried a lot together and went through it together, but that was only in the first 2 days after his death. Since then she's been very distant and doesn't talk to me, or anyone at all. Wich is why I was very surprised when she decided to start an actual conversation.

   -- So, what are your expectations about Florida. The family I told you about sounds pretty good doesn't it? -- at first I couldn't believe that she was actually talking to me, I thought about the possibility of someone being behind me or something but no, she was talking to me.

   -- I don't know. -- was the only thing I could think of as a response.

   -- Karen has been very sweet about everything. She said that her sons go to the same high school that you'll be going to.

   -- Cool.

   -- So, have you been talking to your friends about moving away. Do they know?

   -- Yes, mom, they all know. Actually they know about everything. Like everyone in this town...

   -- Have you said goodbye to them-

   -- Mom, what is this? You haven't talked to me for 3 freaking weeks. Why now? -- she looked at me for a while and then finally spoke.

   -- Lisa, I understand how you're feeling. You're only 17 and no daughter should see their parent die so young. And we don't deserve any of what happened to us. But we need to move on, and that is totally different from forgetting. I loved your father, and I always will. But it's been almost a month, and I don't expect you to move on from something like this so quickly, but I need you to understand that we can't live in the past.

   -- That doesn't explain why you didn't talk to me for so long. I needed you mom, more than anyone. And you just shut me out.

   -- Everyone deals with mourning in their own way. I hope you can understand that. -- I didn't know what to tell her or what to say. -- C'mon we need to hurry or we'll be late. Go check if you forgot anything.

I did as I was told and went upstairs to look at my room. I never had a lot of things here, but something I always loved and always had a lot of it, was books, and I am taking every single one of them. So now my room is totally empty, there is only furniture and my bed without any sheets, I guess my mom prepared everything while I was showering. I looked around and on my desk was a little paper, I walked there and turned it around. It was a picture on the family trip we took last summer. My eyes were instantly watery and eventually the tears started falling.