Chapter II "The Fwooper"

Avalea had been in Egypt for a week without finding the creature, she was sure it was a Fwooper. She used her owl treats to lure them when she was sure she stood in the area where she suspected them to be but it always turned out to be the wrong area. Living with Bill was surprisingly very easy. They grew very comfortable living together like they’ve been doing it for years. She hadn’t heard back yet from work but she didn’t really worry. She tried a different area this time and this was the second to last areas she had left to search, if she didn’t find it soon, she would have to write an owl to work. She walked around the area and tried to sing the Fwooper song that she researched. After she searched every tree, determined not to give up she continued to sing the song. And suddenly she heard a reply. She followed the singing which led her to a tree which she had checked before. She sang again and held out the owl treats. A lime green bird flew down the tree a couple of branches to get a closer look at Avalea. She held out the owl treats to it and the bird took them after eyeing her weirdly. The bird had lime green feathers on its upper body but towards the feet its feathers turned yellow. She carefully approached the bird with her other hand and stroked its feathers. She suspected it to be a female Fwooper but she couldn’t say exactly before she checked the bird out for any injuries. Since she was little Avalea had this talent, her grandfather called it her sixth sense, she had this unwritten connection where she could talk to magical and non-magical creatures. She wasn’t conversing with the creatures in words or a language, she just had an instinct where she would know what the creature is trying to tell her. The same instinct worked the other way where the creature understood what Avalea was telling them. She wanted to take the Fwooper with her and check it out to make sure it wasn’t injured. The bird hopped on her arm, willing to accompany her. Avalea went back to Bill’s house. One of her suitcases was charmed as her portable healing station. When she arrived, she gave the bird a few more owl treats. Bill was still at work and wouldn’t return for at least an hour. She prepared the suitcase and walked into it, down some stairs into her cottage. Due to always travelling Avalea needed a place where the creatures she found and fixed up stayed, something she could discretely take with her wherever she had to go. Her little healing cottage held various food sorts, healing potions etc. She started her examination of the bird and found out it was indeed a female Fwooper.

“How about I name you Valene, because as far as I can see you’re absolutely healthy.” Avalea asked after she finished her examination at least half an hour later. She took some magical photos with her wand and filled out a result sheet of the examination for work. She mixed the bird a silencing potion into normal water, noted the date and time of the potion consumption, because the potion only lasts for 3 months and would have to be renewed. She stroked Valene's feathers and then summoned a tree to replicate the Fwooper’s natural habitat outside the cottage and placed her on a branch. Avalea decided to check on the bird again later this evening or tomorrow and went back to the cottage. She copied the examination sheet for her record, attached a couple of pictures to it and put it to her other files. She took the original sheet and the other pictures and walked back out of the suitcase again. She prepared a letter to work telling them about the search and attaching the sheet with a moving photo.

“Avalea, are you here? I’m home!” She heard Bill call out. She had finished the letter so she left the room to greet Bill.

“Hey, you’re home on the dot.” Ava said smiling and hugged him. “How was treasure hunting?” She added.

“Good we found some things but nothing overly exciting. How about you, did you find your bird?” He replied as the both walked into the kitchen.

“Yes, I did. She’s a beauty and totally healthy. I named her Valene.” She answered and summoned the left-over pictures she has. She showed the photos to Bill who looked at them in awe, never having seen a bird like that before.