Chapter one

Me and my brother's first day at a new school. And the walk was beautiful. Through the woods  on a trail. And the sun was shining through the trees. The fresh morning air was crisp and clean. I loved it. As we walked, I hear some rustling near the path. I stop to see what it is. I walk over and my shirt swirls around my legs as I turn.
"Jess come on! We are going to be late" My brother Samual tells me. He was a few feet ahead.
"One sec!" I call out. I walk closer to the rustling. I spot the head of a baby bird. A robin I think. I directly up from it where I see a nest on a tree branch.
"Jessie lets go!" Samual tells again.
"I'll be right there!" I say trying not to scare the baby bird. I feel like I should do something I help the bird but also I don't want to be late on the first day."Go with out me" I decide. I kneel down and put my lunch pail aside. I push my messenger bag aside.
I reach out to the bird. The poor thing starts to freak out.
"Shhhh it's ok baby" I say in a hushed tone. I carefully pick up the bird and I get up to my feet. Reaching my arms up, I gently place the baby girl in the nest where there where others. I smile at the cuteness. "Your mama must be going to get your breakfast" I say. I walk back on the path and as I do, a robin flew above me. As it does a feather falls from the bird. The robin chirps and lands on the nest with food in it beak for the baby birds. I look back down at my feet where the feather was and I bend over to pick it up.
"It's like a thank you." I giggle and rush to meet Samual.
"Nice to see you want to come" He joked.
"I had to put a baby bird back into the nest" I say.
"I see" he smiled. "Why am I not surprised"
"I had to!" I giggle. "And the mama gave me a feather as a thank you" I show him the feather and he nods.
"What are you gonna do with it?" He asked
"Probably just use it as decoration on my new desk" I say and put it back in the pocket of my dress.
"I see we are here" Samual said looking ahead of us
I look up and see the schoolhouse of where we would hopefully be taught for a few years or so. I nod and we both walk up the steps and walk inside. Voices of girls and boys filled the room as they all eagerly wait for school to start. I look in the entryway to see hooks for coats and hats. I take off my hat and scarf, hanging them up on a hook. After I hang up my things, I place my lunch pail below my hook. Me and Samual walk into the main room in the school house. I see that the girls and the boys are separated. There was a male teacher in the front of the classroom with dark hair and a mustache. He looks up and sees me and my brother. He then stands from his desk.
"Our new students are here" He announced.
The whole class turns to us. I scan the faces of everyone. There was whispering from a blonde girl to other girls. Then giggling.
"I'm Samual Gray, this is my sister. Jessie Gray" Samual introduces us.
I give a small wave and the teacher speaks up. "I am Mr.Philips" he stated. "Now sit where ever is free" he said. I nod and my brother goes to the guys. I slowly walk to the group of girls who where talking.
"Hello" I say smiling.
"Hello there" A girl with pretty freckles and short red hair. Like very short hair. I loved it.
"I'm Jessie. Like Samual said" I smile.
"I'm Anne and this is Diana!" Anne said gesturing to a dark haired girl.
I smile. "It's nice to meet you two" I say. "I'm sorry but I have to say this, Anne I love your hair"
"Thank you Jessie!" Anne said. "And I love yours. Is it naturally curly?"
"Yeah it is, both me and my brother's hair are naturally curly."
"It's so beautiful, and the color is like chocolate" Anne smiles.
"Thank you again Anne"
"It is very pretty"Diana said.
"Yeah for someone like her and an orphan. I prefer blonde, smooth and shiny" the blonde girl said who was whispering about me before.
"Josie stop it" Diana said.
"Alright everyone take a seat!" Mr.Philips said.
I wait for the other girls to sit to see if there was an open seat. There was, in front of Anne and Diana. So I take a seat and put my bag in my lap. Pulling out my slate and my notebook as Mr.Philips starts talking. I turn my head to see where Samual was. He was behind a blond boy. A very cute one I might add. He was taking out his supplies also. He must've felt my eyes on him because he looks up at me. Our eyes meet and I quickly turn to the front. My cheeks heat up a little. He had the most beautiful eyes I've seen. Mr.Philips starts teaching English and he hands me a lesson book to follow along with. He hands one to Samual also. I payed attention as I should, I didn't want to make a bad impression for my first day. But either way Mr.Philips just didn't sit right with me. He had this attitude towards everyone. He calls people out. Not just when they deserve it but whenever.

"Oh yeah when I cut my hair he said 'Are you sure you are sitting in the right place young man?'" Anne said after I was explaining how I didn't like Mr.Philips. We where at lunch in the corner and I was sitting with Anne,Diana and the other girls. Josie, Ruby, Tillie and Jane.
"Not to mention him and my sister..." Jane mumbled as she take a bite of an apple.
"Who's your sister?" I ask.
"Prissy" she said. "The one in the way back in the inside seat" she explained
"Oh, what about them?" I lean into Jane.
"They are....in love. I think" she said in a hushed tone.
"Oh....he's a teacher" I say.
"Yeah, my parents don't care anyway" She said.
"Is it just you two girls?" I ask as I open my small bag of grapes.
"No there Me, Prissy and Billy"
"What one is billy? Does he go to school here?" I ask.
"Yeah. Your brother sat behind him"
"The blond one?" I ask. "He's cute"
All of the girls laugh.
"You don't really find him attractive do you!?" Diana asked.
"Shhhh!" I shush her and the girls all still laugh.
Anne grabs my arm. "Don't go near him unless you want to get harassed or bullied" she warns
"He's a bully?" I ask.
All of the girls nod. "I didn't know.." I mutter. I turn to Jane. "Please don't tell him I said that..."
Jane nodded. "Your secret is safe with me" she held out her pinky and I lock my pinky with hers. We both kiss our thumbs and I knew me and Jane would be good friends