Chapter three

The weekend comes and I continued to read Macbeth on my bed. I was on my stomach comfortably when there was a knock on the door.
"Come in" I say, closing my book with my bookmark and sitting up. My mother walks in and walks to the bed. She sits on the edge of the bed.
"Enjoying your book?" She asked
I nod. "Yeah. You need something?" I ask.
"Yes actually. I've met a few of the families while I was working at the tailor shop" my mother was an excellent seamstress. She made the best dresses, suits and so on. She taught me how to sew. She passed down most of her knowledge to me. "And they have put together a picnic to welcome us"
"Really? Do I have to go?" I ask.
"Yes you are apart of this family!" My mother gets up. "Be ready in an hour"
"Yes mama"
She leaves my room and closed the door behind her. I sigh and get up to see what to wear. I decide on a lavender dress with puffy sleeves and a high collar. One of my favorites. My mother made it for me for my 16th birthday. I slip it on and brush my hair. Once it's smooth and free of tangles, I braid my curly brown hair into a single braid down my back. I leave two pieces out of the braid to frame my face. The prices where wavy and down to my cheeks. I pull the braid to my shoulder and tie a matching lavender ribbon to the end of the braid before pushing it back to my back. Once I was ready I slip on my lace up boots and head downstairs. My family was ready and waiting. We all head out the house and walk to the location of the picnic.

Once we arrive and I scout out the families. I see Diana's, Anne's and Jane's along with others. I smile and rush to Jane.
"Jessie!" Jane smiled and rushed to me. She hugs me and I hug back.
"You hungry?" She asked.
"I always am!" I joke. She leads me under a tent where the food was. I serve myself and Jane gets food also. We walk to where her family was. And there Billy was. Laying on his back propped up on his left elbow. His blonde hair was a bit messier than usual and some of it was over his forehead. It was adorable. I had to stop thinking that!
"Mother, father this is Jessie Gray" she smiled.
"Hello" I wave. "Nice to meet you Mister and Mrs.Andrews"
"It's nice to meet you too Jessie" Mrs.Andrews said.
"Hello Jessie" Prissy said smiling.
"Hello Prissy" I look down at Billy. "Billy" I nod.
"Hello Jessie" he said snuggly.
"Ok come on Jess, I have a blanket set up over there" she points to an empty blanket to the two of us walk over to it and we both sit down. We began to eat and talk like we did at lunch everyday.
"So Samual keeps teasing me about Billy" I say.
"He has?" She giggles.
"Yeah...every night at supper he always says something about, you looked at him for a full minute without blinking, or he made you blush again!" I giggle.
"You and him are close" she said.
I nod. "Yeah. We have been forever"
"That's really nice....I wish my siblings and I where close" she said sighing and looking down at her plate. I put a raspberry in my mouth and chew. I swallow.
"Well, you have a new sister now." I smile.
"Really?" She lights up.
"Yup! I'll be right by your side" I smile and hold out my pinky. "I promise"
She locked pinkies with me and we kiss our thumbs. Just like when we first became friends.
"Thank you Jessie"
"My pleasure Jane"
We continue to eat and I finish up my food. I ate a bit faster then Jane did. "I'll be back. I want more punch" I get up with my cup and head under the tent. I wave to a few of the other girls as I see them. I use the ladle to refill my cup.
"Be a shame if you spill on that dress" Billy Andrews appears behind me and leaning over my shoulder.
"I appreciate your concern Billy" I turn to face him and sip my punch as I bat my eyes a him softly.
He chuckled. "It is the only thing that makes you look like a girl"
"Excuse me?" I ask.
"Sometimes I think you are just Samual in a dress" he said. "Have you seen your face?" He smirked and leaves the tent.
I huff and head back to the blanket.
"What did he say now?" Jane asked. I explain and she finished eating as I told her.
"You don't look like a boy!" She protested.
"I know...I had to deal with that at my old school. From females through" I say.
"Really? I'm sorry"
"It's ok! I'm taking your advice from earlier this week" I say.
"And what was that?"
"To not let him ruin my new life here" I smile. She smiled back.
The rest of the picnic was fun. Me and the girls hung out the whole time. We talked and picked flowers. Anne even made me a flower crown. And a throughout the afternoon I would feel someone's eyes on me and I would see Billy standing there just looking at me. Not staring at me, observing me almost. I ignore it and not let him ruin my fun. The walk home was nice too. Samual and I walk a few feet behind mother and father so we could talk. He tells me about his afternoon. Hanging out with his new friends. I was happy for him. I tell him about my afternoon and tell him about what Billy said.
"What is it with people and thinking you look like a boy" he asked a little angry.
"I don't know...but it's fine. I won't let him get to me"
"Especially..."
"Don't you even start" I say
"How do you know what I was gonna say?!" He asked chuckling.
"You where gonna day something like 'Especially since you think he's cute"
"No I wasn't gonna say that! I was gonna say Especially since you are deeply in love with him"
"Same thing...almost"
"Yeah yeah" he chuckled and puts an arm around me. "I know you can handle yourself so I'm not too worried"
"Thanks Sam" I smile. "Best brother ever"
"I know"
I wrap my arm around his waist and rest my head on his shoulder as we walk home.