Chapter fourteen

The next morning I woke up bright and early. I new I had to make cookies for Billy. After I get dressed and eat my breakfast I search for the recipe box. Once I find it, I find my grandma's famous sugar cookies. I wasn't the best at cooking but I knew if I just followed the recipe I would be fine. I put on an apron before I start gathering ingredients.
"You're up early" Samual's voice comes out of nowhere and startles me. I turn to the kitchen door.
"Yeah I wanted to make cookies" I say.
"For Billy?" He asked chuckling.
"No....maybe....yeah" I sigh and look back at the flour I was measuring.
"Are you gonna bring them to him?" He asked.
"I was hoping" I smile.
"He'll love them" Sam said.
"Can you help me?" I look at him.
"Sure" he said and washed his hands.
I tell him what to measure and what to mix. Having him helping made the process faster. Once the dough was ready, we cut it into circles before placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I put them in the hot oven and close the door.
"They should be ready in about 10 minutes" I say starting to clean up. "Thanks for helping Sam" I smile.
"Now worries. Are you gonna save some?" He asked.
"I can yeah. I'll put a few on a plate for you and mom and dad"
"Alright" he heads out of the kitchen.
I clean up the kitchen and put everything away.  I wipe down the counters and wash the dishes. By the time everything was done, the cookies where done too. I take them out of the oven using oven mitts. I place them on the stove to let them cool. I slip off my apron and hang it up before I go to find a basket. Once I have one, I grab a white clean towel. Once the cookies where cool I place them on the basket on the towel. I leave five of them on a plate for the family. Once I put the cookies in the basket, I fold the towel over them. I walk to the front door and slip on my shoes.
"Mother!" I call out. "I'm going to Jane's"
"Alright honey!" She calls back from upstairs.
I put on my coat and scarf before I leave the house to head to the Andrews'. I walked quickly as I could without slipping and falling on the ice and snow. I hum as I walk happily. I couldn't wait to see Billy and his family. Once I finally arrived, I knock on the door. Mrs.Andrews opens the door.
"Hello Miss.Jessie" she said.
"Hello Mrs.Andrews" I smile. "May I come in?"
"Of course. I'll tell Jane you are here."
"I'm here for Billy actually" I say stepping inside. "I wanted to check on him"
"Oh alright." She smiled. "I'll show you to his room?"
"Yes thank you" I slip off my shoes and coat before following her up the stairs. We walk down the hall to one of the room. She knocks on the door.
"Sweetie, it's me." She said before opening the door.
"Go away Mother" Billy grumbled.
"There's someone here for you" she said and steps aside showing me.
"I can come back another time if-" I say.
"Jessie. No no come in" Billy said sitting up from his bed. His mood switched from annoyed to more happy.
I nod and walk in. His mother leaves the room as I walk to the side of the bed. "How are you feeling?"I ask.
"Better" he said.
"That's good" I smile. I get lost at just looking at him before I remember what I had in my basket. "Oh I have cookies" I smile.
"Really?" He lights up.
I sit in the bed and uncover the sugar cookies in the basket. He reached in and takes one out, taking a bite of it.
"Mmmm" he mumbled as he chewed. I assumed that meant a good thing.
"Are they good?" I ask taking one out for myself. I take a bite of it too. It was good.
He nodded and swallows the bite he took.
"They are very good Jessie" he said taking another bite.
"That's good. I wanted to make sure you were ok." I smiled.
"Thanks" he smiled. "No one has done that before" he looks at me smiling.
The door opens again and I look up to see Jane standing in the doorway.
"Sorry to interrupt" she said.
"No worries" I get up with the basket. "I just wanted to check on Billy and I brought cookies"
"Really?" Jane rushed to me. I reach in the basket and hand her one. She takes a bite of it. "It's good! Thank you" she smiled.
"Well I better get going" I say.
"Do you have to go?" Billy asked.
I look over at him. "Well I don't really have anything going on today" I say. "Is it ok if I stay?"
Jane nodded. "Definitely" she smiled. "We can play games"
"Alright. I can stay" I smile at the both of them. Billy ends up getting out of bed and getting dressed. Me and Jane waited in the parlor for him to bed dressed. We chat as we wait.
"I can't believe it's Christmas break" Jane smiled.
"Me too. I can't wait to sleep in every day and wake up on Christmas morning to all the presents and my moms hot coco"
"I need to go back to your house for you mothers hot coco"
I look up to the doorway to see Billy dressed with a deck of cards in his hand. "I'm sure mama won't mind you coming over again" I look at Jane. "Both of you"
"That sounds like fun" Jane smiled.
The three of us sit on the floor and we decide on the game we play. Once we do, I deal out the cards for everyone. We play one game and Prissy walks in.
"What are you guys doing?" She asked "Oh hi Jessie!"
"Hey Prissy" I smile and wave. "We are just playing cards" I say.
"May I join?" She asked.
"Of course" I smile. I scoot closer to Billy to make room for Prissy. I glance at Billy who is an inch away from me. He glanced at me also before we both look away and I deal Prissy in along with the rest of us. We play a few more games and Billy mostly won. On the last game I groan in frustration and so did the girls.
"You cheated!" I accused him.
"No I didn't!" He said shaking his head.
"Yes you did! There is now way you can keep winning without you cheating" I cross my arms.
"I didn't! Trust me I didn't!" He said.
I narrow my eyebrows at him. "I'm watching you"
I hear footsteps walking into the room and we all look to the door.
"Jessie are you staying for lunch?" Mrs.Andrews asked.
"It's lunch already?" I ask. "No thank you. I should get home." I get up. "I promised my mother I would help decorate"
"Alright" she smiled. "You are always welcome here" she added.
"Thank you" I look at the Andrews' siblings. "Thanks for the fun morning" I smile.
"Thanks for the cookies" Billy said.
"Yeah they where good" Jane hugs me.
"Bye guys" I smile before I head to the door. I slip on my shoes and coat before I leave the Andrews house. I turn to it to see it before I leave to see Billy in the window. He waves at me and I wave back. I smile at him One last smile before I head home.